need food critiques!

im using a nikon d80. any suggestions for that? i tried a couple more today and will post again and they were with darker settings. ill let you guys/gals be the judge! lol thanks again for the help!

im using a nikon d80. any suggestions for that? i tried a couple more today and will post again and they were with darker settings. ill let you guys/gals be the judge! lol thanks again for the help!

hmmm sorry not a Nikon shooter...I'm sure you might have some type of settings.

nrois022.jpg

nrois023.jpg

nrois02.jpg

looks like a bit too much PP. (not necessarily the ones above, but more so the ones on the first page)

you want to first have full control over the environment.
lay down a seamless background (if possible). turn off whatever lights you're not using, and set up your lighting how you want it. this will help give you uniformity in your shots.
then double and triple check the plate for anything out of place. (the crumb in the white sauce on the crab cake plate, ect)
then use an aperture that allows you to keep the entire plate in focus.

Sorry to chime in but...

just because Lightroom is more mainstream for photographs than Photoshop
wut?

yeah exactly....que? LOL

Apparently I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I was just saying because I use both, Lightroom doesn't have all the effects and random stuff that one would use in Photoshop for creating graphics or drastically changing images. Lightroom is more straightforward in how to edit your photographs without going too much into the program. It's easy to use to edit photos.

Sorry to chime in but...

wut?

yeah exactly....que? LOL

Apparently I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I was just saying because I use both, Lightroom doesn't have all the effects and random stuff that one would use in Photoshop for creating graphics or drastically changing images. Lightroom is more straightforward in how to edit your photographs without going too much into the program. It's easy to use to edit photos.

I think you might have been looking for 'streamlined' not 'mainstream' :)

Have you tryed using a softbox ? Or like in jewelry photography use cheesecloth to soften the light , if u cant afford softbox. The Baguette in the last picture is sharpened to much.

yeah exactly....que? LOL

I think you might have been looking for 'streamlined' not 'mainstream' :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

I understand you need to shoot these as the plates are going out the door ?

If you can start early or stay late with a test plate you should be able to set up a light and/or reflector to do some test shots and be ready when service starts..

Is it possible to change some of the existing light bulbs to 5500k CF ?

Try shooting at a lower angle, crop a little closer.

I'm not a big fan of shallow depth of field on food shots but it does appear to be widely accepted in magazine publications, go figure, eh?

The plating of the food is well done, no drips or splashes, careful placement. Just a bit more controlled lighting would help. Try a single 45w bulb in a 10" cone from the side or back and a reflector opposite it.

If you do decide to try aperture mode, you might even have to diffuse the CF bulb, doesn't take much for highlights to show on liquids.

Cheers and bon appetit, Don

And from a chefs stand point.

1 & 2 well plated

3 There needs to be some chunks of avacado in the guacamole

4 The shrimp needs grill marks

5 too much tarter sause, and the crab cakes should be browned on the outside

Just my $.02

Most reactions

New Topics

Back