Need help buying a camera for class.

I totally agree with you guys(?) about the prices at KEH - they are not the lowest price going and I sure as hell would not want to sell for what they pay for used gear. The only point I was trying to make is that you can return anything to KEH for any reason for months after the purchase, but you can rarely do so on Craigslist or ebay, at least in my experience.

Personally, I've had hit and miss results buying used without a warranty, and I've had a lot of kids in class who missed assignments, dropped grades, and got very frustrated because of broken equipment. Just remember, Caveat Emptor...

- Randy

I understand what you are saying and that is why I suggest a simple all manual body from one of the big photo equipment seller. For what you would pay at KEH, you can buy a couple of those and still have some change for film.

If I were you, I would buy a high-end Nikon or Canon film camera.

Any specific models?

Frankly, don't worry about high-end. As it is you'd rather buy a digital camera and there's a very good chance you will not stick to film if you stick to photography so why spend more? Today being Friday, if I were you, I would get ready to hit the yard sales this weekend. People have found all kind of gear there for next to nothing.

Frankly, don't worry about high-end. As it is you'd rather buy a digital camera and there's a very good chance you will not stick to film if you stick to photography so why spend more? Today being Friday, if I were you, I would get ready to hit the yard sales this weekend. People have found all kind of gear there for next to nothing.

That makes sense. However, I do want a camera that will help me get the best quality pictures. I know in the end it will come down to pure skill but since I don't have any yet . . . :lol:

Besides, the high-end cameras are dirt cheap too. I'm bidding on a Nikon N90s that comes with 6 lenses + accessories. The price is set at $10 so far. For a nice film camera and SIX lenses (that's 5 more than I need :p) that's not bad at all. Even if the camera ends up breaking a week from when I get, I still get the lenses for a cheap price.

Last edited:
I have another question. The professor says that one of the requirements is for the camera to have a f2 aperture. Can't you change the aperture of the lens? I always thought you could manually change it from 2, 4, 8, etc. If I buy a lens that has an aperture of F1.8, couldn't it be changed to 2?

Also, if a lens is autofocus, can it be put into manual focus?

The f1.8 or f2.0 is the maximum aperture or largest opening. An f1.8 of 2.0 lens will typically stop down as far as f16 (Thusly: f 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.8, 8, 11, 16) and yes all AF lenses of which I am aware can be switched between automatic and manual focus.

The f1.8 or f2.0 is the maximum aperture or largest opening. An f1.8 of 2.0 lens will typically stop down as far as f16 (Thusly: f 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.8, 8, 11, 16) and yes all AF lenses of which I am aware can be switched between automatic and manual focus.

So what is the difference between an f1.8 and f2.0? The f1.8 can let in more light, but is there any reason to get 2.0 vs 1.8? I'm asking because an aperture of f2.0 is a requirement but most used cameras come with f1.8 lenses and I'm wondering if I should purchase a f2.0 lens.

Each full f stop admits twice or half as much light as the one before/after it. Without going into the math, a lens set at f4 will allow twice the light of a lens set at f5.6 to hit the film plane (Good Wikipedia article here: F-number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Your requirement is for a lens with a minimum f2; therefore an f1.8 lens meets that requirement; an f1.4 lens would be even better. There are other benefits to lenses with larger maximum apertures such as shallower depth of field, but that's a discussion for a later date.

Thanks for the helpful post and the link. I did some further reading and I got it now.

I have another question to which I can't find the answer to. I might have to end up taking some prerequisite courses before I can take the photo class. I don't want to get a film camera when I might not be able to take the class for another year.

If I buy a Nikon D40 or D60 and end up buying a film one later on for class (N90s most likely), would they be able to use the same lens? I don't know if all Nikons, including the old ones, have a standardized lens connector or something.

Also, can the D40 or D60 (digital cams in general) be used as full manual like the old film ones? I'd like to learn manually so that when I do get the film one I won't be totally lost.

If I buy a Nikon D40 or D60 and end up buying a film one later on for class (N90s most likely), would they be able to use the same lens? I don't know if all Nikons, including the old ones, have a standardized lens connector or something.

Yes and no. All of Nikon's lenses going back to the pre-AI days of the late 60s will fit on your D40/D60, BUT depending on the type of lens may will not auto-focus (On those bodies only the newer lenses designated "AF-S" will auto-focus on those bodies) and others will not meter correctly meaning that you will have to "guesstimate" an aperture, make an exposure and see what it looks like. I would actually recommend a used D70s, or D80 over the D40/60.

Also, can the D40 or D60 (digital cams in general) be used as full manual like the old film ones? I'd like to learn manually so that when I do get the film one I won't be totally lost.
Yes, they all have a fully manual mode where you will select both the aperture and shutter speed.

I just went with the 60 because I found a bunch of well-priced used ones on ebay.

EDIT: See? I just spent about 30mins looking for D70s/80s and they are all overpriced or badly used. :( What's better about them anyway? The D60 was pretty good in my eyes.

Last edited:
I just went with the 60 because I found a bunch of well-priced used ones on ebay.

EDIT: See? I just spent about 30mins looking for D70s/80s and they are all overpriced or badly used. :( What's better about them anyway? The D60 was pretty good in my eyes.

The main advantage is that they have in-body focusing motors which will allow them to focus with non AF-S lenses.

Hmmm yeah that could come in handy. I have 8 cameras on watch on ebay. 3 D60s, 3 D80s, and 2 D90s. It'll come down to whichever doesn't go up by a lot. Obviously I'd be willing to pay more for the 90. Thanks for all your helpful information. Now it's time to shop! ;)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The used market is practically giving away old Canon AE-1's. It's a great camera as long as it's all working.

I bought a Canon EOS 500N and I had a 50mm EF lens

I recommed doing it this way as it means you can upgrade to any current Canon DSLR and use the 50mm on them too!

total cost: <$150
Camera cost me about $30
Lens cost about $120 but can get it in america for $80
and I just bought B&W film for $10 (2 rolls) but the shop was out of stock of this film so they upgraded me (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009XVOF/ref=ox_ya_oh_product to http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-Delt...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255358306&sr=8-2.)
and colour for $20 (also 2 rolls)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back