EquineArt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.equineartphoto.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!
Next week-end I must take photos of horses in action, both indoor and outdoor.
I own a Canon 7D wich works fine but I only have the kit lens which is not so good imo (28-135 f:a lot (5.6 at 135).
I also own a 55 f:1.8 but even if I'll be inside the arena with the horses, I believe it's still too small.
I will rent a lens for the occasion but am unsure of which one..
Which one should I get.. I can't afford both because of the deposit fees, unfortunately.
135 f:2
85 f:1.2

135 will allow me to crop less in the editing, 85 has ultra fast AF according to lens description.

I am not too concerned about the outside photos, but the indoor arena is more of a concern. It is not completely closed, as it is more of a covered paddock, but the light will always be behind the horse that I'm shooting.

Please I need help decide, or even if someone has a different lens to suggest.
Thank you in advance!!!

Marie

The 85 1.2 has much slower autofocus than the 85 1.8 actually. The 1.8 is often recommended for indoor sports (and it's wicked cheap too!). 70-200 2.8 does sound like the more versatile choice to me however. 85 really isn't much longer than 55.

Agree with the 70-200 recommendation. If you can, a 1.4x TC would might be useful as well.

The 85 1.2 has much slower autofocus than the 85 1.8 actually. The 1.8 is often recommended for indoor sports (and it's wicked cheap too!). 70-200 2.8 does sound like the more versatile choice to me however. 85 really isn't much longer than 55.

I read that the 1.2 is 1.8x faster AF than the original (on the site of the camera store where I'll be renting)... are you positive about your statement?

I have rented the 70-200 f:2.8 in the past and I love it... only problem is the deposit (1000$) on the credit card... the other 2 lenses don't need as much as deposit (500 or 750) .. I put the new camera on the credit card and I'm quite limited now :(

How many stops do I lose with a converter? And does it affect AF speed?
That could also be an option.....

Thanks everyone for your input! Need more advice!!!

I read that the 1.2 is 1.8x faster AF than the original (on the site of the camera store where I'll be renting)...

This statement is saying that the 85mm f/1.2L II is faster than the original 85mm 1.2L, it's not comparing it to the 85mm f/1.8 USM. There's a really nice and to the point comparision here: LensRentals.com - Rent a Canon 85mm f/1.2L II

How many stops do I lose with a converter? And does it affect AF speed?
That could also be an option.....

Thanks everyone for your input! Need more advice!!!

The f/stop gets multiplied by the same factor as the focal length, so 70-200 f/2.8 becomes 98-280 f/4.0 with a 1.4x. I believe autofocus does slow down, but it also depends on which TC and which Lens, some get along better than others, and I've not personally tried one.

Do you think it will be too dark inside for the 70-200 f/4? It's much cheaper than the 2.8.

(sorry for all the consecutive posts... keep having afterthoughts)

I read that the 1.2 is 1.8x faster AF than the original (on the site of the camera store where I'll be renting)...

This statement is saying that the 85mm f/1.2L II is faster than the original 85mm 1.2L, it's not comparing it to the 85mm f/1.8 USM. There's a really nice and to the point comparision here: LensRentals.com - Rent a Canon 85mm f/1.2L II

Oh I understand the comparison now :)
What do you think about the 1.8 though?
Also for indoor arena the 70-200 f:4 is out of the question, as the f:2,8 is still a gamble depending on how much light is available... if it's cloudy outside, it's not that good... this is why I was mostly looking for a faster lens.. It is also quite heavy and although I'll be using a monopod, it is not as easy to move around fast when needed...

So now I'm hesitating between the 85 f:1.8 or the 1.2 or the 135 f:2
I'm skipping the converter idea because of the slower performance of it.
I'll be inside the ring with the horses, so I can move closer to them if need be. I'm estimating the average distance at about 30-40 feet.

The 85mm on your body gets you a scene about 8ft wide when you're focused 30ft away. The 135mm is 5ft wide at the same distance. I've never used the 135, but it is supposedly Canon's sharpest lens and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. The 85mm 1.8 I use all the time and I really like it. It's great for fast moving subjects, really nice autofocus, and quite sharp too. It's also very light and compact, which sounds like a factor for you. You really don't wanna shoot action with the 85 1.2.

Tempting tempting!!!
I have an idea to test the distance... I'll go to a stable I know and ask if I can just take random pictures of people riding and see at what focal I shoot most of the pictures...
I'll use the 28-135... pictures will be crappy but it will be to get an idea if I need 135 or if 85 is enough :)
I'll keep you posted!!! Thanks so much again!:hug::

If you can rent an 85 1.8 for cheap(ish), you won't regret it. Hell, for the price, around $400 US, it's worth owning if you can use it on a regular basis. It's often referred to as "L like".

Ok made some test shots with my kit lens 28-135 to see which I use most, and it's it's around 60 mm that I was shooting most of my pictures...
Tests were made in an arena 100 x 200 but I'll be standing in the middle of it. I'm even wondering if I can get closer and use my 50 1.8 or I should stand back and use a 85 1.8
I think I'll go ahead and rent the 85 anyways and bring the 50 also. For the outdoor shots I will have the room to stand back but just in case I'm limited in space, the 50 will be handy :)
Any other opinion? I want to hear them all :)
I'm selling my kit lens, even if it's a decent all around lens, but I am sometimes disappointed by the sharpness of it.
And if next week-end brings me some coins, then I'll make another post asking which lens should I get :)
Thanks you all!

Most reactions

Back