What's new

Need help choosing camera

circa808

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
So I am new to the slr scene and am coming from a point and shoot camera. I have had various experience working with slr cameras through my school, and I feel that the step up to slr is worth it. I have been doing research and what not and what I found was the canon xsi to be a good entry level camera for a good price ($630 on newegg). Now my parents are supportive of my interests (since I am paying for most of it using graduation money, birthday, and work money) and offered I should get a really good camera that'll last a while. So I looked around and saw the canon t1i which came out recently and read great reviews about it. I unfortunately stayed away from Nikon as they don't have a good 600-800 price range in cameras (couldn't really find deals of D60, D90 bit too much). Now i was wondering which one i should get for a long term investment for someone who was really going to get intophotography. If i do get the canon xsi there is the option to get the telephoto lens (50-250 mm, or open to options) while I would stick to the 18-55 mm for the canon t1i till I get more money. Please any input would be much appreciated.
edit:actually the nikon D90 is still something i am contemplating, just need to know if it would be worth it for me
 
The new Nikon D3000 or D5000 are in your range, just so you have a little more to choose from. If you want Canon, cool... just wanted to throw that out there.
 
If you are serious about sticking with photography for a while, make a better investment up front in the lenses that in the body, as these will last you much longer than a camera body.
 
Well the D5000 does look pretty good, and my friend always vouches for Nikon. The 4 fps would come in handy as i love to shoot sports, and it seems it has some advantages over the D90. Also as far as lens' go, any suggestions? Would be working with a range of different photo types., and the other poster makes a good point that lens' would go a long way. What would you guys suggest, i guess it comes down to preference. I know the ISO for the nikon is better i believe.
edit: heard about the recall little bit worried but my fears may be nothing
 
Used Canon 70-200 f/4L - $400ish
Canon 50mm f/1.8 - $80

Those two with the kit. The 70-200 is Canon's best telephoto in the lower price range, imo. It's extremely sharp, has a constant aperture and is very durable. Generally, you don't get very good quality until the prices start getting up there. There are exceptions though, like the 50mm f/1.8.

But by lenses that will be good forever, you're looking at stuff like the 70-200 f/2.8L IS, the 24-70 f/2.8L, the 16-35 f/2.8L, the 85mm f/1.2L, and similar lenses that retail for more than $1000. A lot more in some cases.
 
I have a Canon 50mm and a 28-105mm. I love them both. the 28-105mm is super sharp and a really good step up from the kit lens. It dosen't cost too much I think I payed $375 new. The 50 is also super sharp and only costs about $80 dollars. Its made of plastic except for the mount but it is still a great lens.
 
agreed, the things that hold their value the best and grow with you the most are lenses. Cameras are kind of like computers that are constantly being replaced by newer and better models. Lenses don't really lose their value much at all so if you do end up deciding to sell them you can usually get about what you paid for it (unless you get ripped off purchasing it).

edit: High quality glass doesn't really lose its value much. low quality or consumer quality is much more likely to lose its value more quickly (at least in my experience)
 
I agree with the others here. As to the 5000 having anything over the D90 I don't think so! :) Only thing one might say is the swivel screen maybe. You get alot more camera with the D90. Maybe I'm bias cause I have one.:sexywink: When my D80 broke they mentioned giving me a D5000 as my insurance replacement at the store and I almost blew up. Luckily Corporate said they weren't going to downgrade me. I always used Cannon P&S's but when I started shopping for an SLR the Menu system on the Nikon was much easier for me and the main thing is the D80 at the time felt much better in my hands. The Cannon's were too small. I will tell you the D5000 has the same sensor as the D90 and I LOVE how well it handles noise at high ISO. Good luck and have fun when you get your new stuff.
 
If your going to get serious, I've read that the D90 is much more friendly than the D5000. Sounds like you have to jump through menu's etc to adjust settings on the 5000 as opposed to quickly doing so on the D90. D5000 is a very nice unit, just more geared towards folks that are going to point and shoot. (though you do have all the other options, just more finding them). I've never seen a defnitive answer about D5000 and auto exposure bracketing. Pretty sure it can do it, but via menu's and 3 separate clicks. D90 can be found just a hair north of 8 bills on big river.
 
Last edited:
Get the T1L. It is the most modern camera with the 15 meg sensor and latest processor. With Canon each generation is a distinct improvement over the previous. Learn to use the 18-55 and then get another lens. Telephoto may not turn out to be what you want. It maybe ultrawide instead.
 
I'm not going to tell you which one to get, that's best left upto you, think more on what you want to shoot. Landscapes, portraits, sports, etc.. do you need speed/fps (sports & street candids) or is color and clarity more important (Landscape & portraits)?

Though the technology into todays sensors is amazing, you still need to be aware that more megapixels is not always better, you have to be aware of saturation and overflow. This link is quite informative; Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

In addition, your style will also dictate what lenses you will buy, as previously stated, buy the lenses you need and will use, then you can upgrade bodies based on your glass. And don't buy lenses just to have them, that's a waste of money and lens, since odds are you wont use them.

Most important, buy one you like! If you buy because it was cheaper, odds are it will sit in the closet and collect dust. If you like it though, you will use it often!
 
I'm going to disagree with you guys. Get a used 30d(appx 400) and a tamron 17-50 2.8(appx 350). That's an awesome kit to learn with- you'll get an intuitive body with a good casing anda damn good lens for your money.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom