Need help deciding what lens to get with my first camera!

SuperTryHard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All,

I'm getting a Canon EOS 7D and i'm not sure what lens i should get! My brother has a T2i and i've gotten pretty comfortable with that and thought it was about time to get a camera myself. My brother isn't being much of a help when i ask about lenses so i came here!

So here is the situation... The 7d is going for $1,500 (body only) or $2,200 w/ 15-85 EF-S IS. There are also deals where i can get the canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS for $200 and the canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM II/III AF for $110.

My question is, should i get the body + one of the deal lenses, the body+kit lens+deal lens or body+kit lens?

Welcome to the forum.

What do you like to/plan to shoot? What is your budget for a lens(s)?

Personally, I wouldn't want any of those lenses.

Unless you really NEED a fast frame per second I would actually suggest not getting the 7D. It's a great camera sure, but since you say this is your first camera I'm assuming your fairly new to photography. The Canon Rebel line is a great place to start, and any lens that will fit a 7D will also fit a Rebel. So unless you're really needing the insanely fast frames per second of the 7D I would say just pick up the cheapest brand new Rebel you can find, probably a Rebel T3, and invest the rest of your budget on some good glass. Every camera will eventually wear out, but as long as you take care of them, the lenses will last a whole lot longer. Therefore get yourself a less expensive DSLR, and more lenses. Then when you have mastered the Rebel and all of it's features AND you've maxed out the expected shutter life (50,000) and then some, you can upgrade. Getting more glass and less camera now will actually enable you to be much more versitle from the start.

I am KIND OF of the same mind as Scorpion up there. Unless you NEED the 7D? It's not going to do anything better than the rebel line. However, I won't suggest the T3. It's canon's entry level-bottom entry level. It's a great camera, however it's kind of stripped down from the T3i and the T2i. The 60D is an excellent option and lower in price than the 7D also.
For a starter lens something like the 28-135 covers a very long range and will keep you happier with the zoom than the 18-55.
I am not a fan of purchasing a ton of lenses out of the gate. I prefer to see you get your camera, learn a bit on it and then decide what you NEED. If you purchase several lenses right now, not knowing what your style is you will often find that those aren't what you would have purchased down the road.
I am all for purchasing the nifty fifty with any camera. 50mm f/1.8 lens will give you a taste of a prime lens (no zoom), a taste of a lens that will work in pretty low light situations and will also make it easier to learn with seeing how the aperture never changes like the ones that read something like 3.5-5.6. And it's only like $130. Amazing for it's price.

I'll explain a little more, for $2,200 you can get the 7D and one lens, or you can get a Rebel T3, 18-55mm IS, 50mm f/1.8, a Sigma 10-20mm, a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, a 75-300mm, and a 580EX II. Find good deals on used lenses and you can even throw in a grip for it ;)

*Not arguing your point as its a good one as well MLeek, I was just typing as you posted

Welcome to the forum.

What do you like to/plan to shoot? What is your budget for a lens(s)?

Personally, I wouldn't want any of those lenses.

I'll usually be taking pictures at sports events ,landscapes when i travel (which is pretty often) and walking around my city taking pictures of things i think look interesting

Scorpion and MLeeK, Thanks a lot for all of the advice. It's really making me re-think my decision on the 7D.
I may just hold out on getting my camera right now and see if i can borrow my brother's T2i again and try to figure out my style.

If you are going to be shooting sports, in a serious way, then the 7D would be the way to go. It has the most advanced AF system to be found in a Canon camera that costs less than $4000.

There is certainly some merit to what the others are saying above. If you buy a cheaper camera, and put the money toward more/better lenses instead, you will likely end up with a better kit. But people certainly buy the more expensive bodies for a reason.

One of the big differences between the 'mid level' bodies and the Rebels, is the size and ergonomics. The Rebels are small and don't have as many external controls as something like a 60D or 7D. That might play a part in your decision.

Mike is right, serious sports the fps on the 7D is awesome. The 60D is 5.3 which ain't too bad by any means. The T3i shoots 3.7 per second which is fine if you are a casual shooter. Professional? Might pinch a little.
I wouldn't be scared to have to shoot with the 60D.

SuperTryHard said:
Hey All,

I'm getting a Canon EOS 7D and i'm not sure what lens i should get! My brother has a T2i and i've gotten pretty comfortable with that and thought it was about time to get a camera myself. My brother isn't being much of a help when i ask about lenses so i came here!

So here is the situation... The 7d is going for $1,500 (body only) or $2,200 w/ 15-85 EF-S IS. There are also deals where i can get the canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS for $200 and the canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM II/III AF for $110.

My question is, should i get the body + one of the deal lenses, the body+kit lens+deal lens or body+kit lens?

I went from a Rebel to a 7d......you have to know what your doing with a 7d! Makes ya learn.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back