Need help finding a camera to meet my budget/needs!

Tyorik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'll be stationed in Japan in about 2 weeks (USAF) and plan to tour a bit while I'm there - obviously. Military pay isn't great though, as I'm sure you can guess. So I'm trying to find a camera that fits in the ~$600-$650 area. That's about the most I can spend right now unfortunately.

However! It may not be all bad, because I'm not one to sit and fiddle with manual settings for an extended period of time, or set up shots, etc. I've been thinking something along the lines of a G10 or SX10IS - something of hybrid - but I wasn't sure what the best resort would be for the budget. I don't really know what I'll be shooting either, per se. Could be scenery, portraits, I don't know. So I would need something that does everything "decently" (I can't afford "excellent" or even "good" or "great" :lol:). Just a sharp, clean, clear picture (as much so as possible).

Any help would be appreciated, I'm (obviously) pretty new to photography and could use all the help I can get

I have a camera for sale if your interested. Only a few months old, Im falling behind on bills and work isnt that great right now so if your interested email me and i'll give you some details.

[email protected]

Names Adam and camera is a Sony a300

A good entry-level DSLR is a perfect fit for your needs, considering your budget constraints. A Nikon D40 goes around the $450 price tag so you have extra bucks for other accessories. A Canon 1000d which goes for $600 is a good choice too. Go to the nearest camera shop near you to compare the cameras side by side and test which one fits your hands well.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

I'd look at some of the high end P&Ss. There is a LOT to be said for traveling light.

A really good P&S with 40 gigs or so of memory, a toothbrush, a couple of pair of socks and undies and you should be set for the time of your life- with evidence. ;)

I'd look at some of the high end P&Ss. There is a LOT to be said for traveling light.

A really good P&S with 40 gigs or so of memory, a toothbrush, a couple of pair of socks and undies and you should be set for the time of your life- with evidence. ;)

So would something like a G10 work? I have a Canon SD900, but... It kind of sucks in my opinion. I've seen some very nice shots from a G10 on Flickr, and the SD900 doesn't even have IS. Anyhow, if I stick with P&S (and a crapload of memory) is there any other camera you'd suggest?

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back