Need help finding camera backpack

colesjensen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I’m new to the forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me find the perfect camera bag. I want something that can hold a lot of gear because I have my dslr, 3 lenses, a flash, batteries, and the DJI Mavic Pro with controller and chargers. I really like the look of the brevitē backpack, but they don’t have enough storage for what I need. I’m also going to be doing a lot of traveling with it. And finally I’d like it to not look like a camera bag to keep it low key and because normal camera bags are pretty ugly. Thanks!

Last edited:
I won't do your online research for you.

I never found just 1 "perfect" camera bag that suited all my needs.
So for a long time I had 6 camera bags/backpacks.

Now that I'm retired I've got it down to 3 camera bags, and none of the other gaggle of cases/bags I had for other photography gear.

Last edited:
I have an Amazon Basics backpack, it was inexpensive and holds lots of gear.

Before by last trip I got a Tenba BYOB 13. It's an insert you can put in your own bag. I used it with a messenger bag I already had and it worked great.

Camera backpacks all look like camera backpacks because the vast majority are built around the same basic design aspect; a large padded box. They are great, but as you say they look like camera backpacks.

So if you want a backpack that isn't a camera bag then any old back would do. In general so long as you pad the items within (the cases they come with are a good first layer protection to start with) and don't throw it around they should be fine.

And the best way to get a back that fits is to head to a local store and take your gear with you and spend a bit of time trying out the gear in different bags to see what fits. Different lenses and flashes and such are all different sizes and as such its hard to recommend a non-camera bag that would suit.

At best I can suggest a hiking shop. Those kind of bags are often well padded with waist straps and good shoulder support. They also come with lots of pockets and if not being waterproof they often have a waterproof cover that comes with them. In addition an inner separation bag can be of great help; letting you separate your camera gear from, say, your lunch box etc...

Several thoughts:

1. Do NOT buy a backpack without trying it on first. Backpacks ride differently depending upon your build. It makes a difference if you're male or female (and shoulder straps cross). If you're tall or short. Seriously--if you're really going to wear this backpack, you need to try it on before you buy.

2. We need more details. If you're just looking for something to carry gear or if you want to access it while you hike/walk. Tripods are an issue. Or if you want a rain cover for it. And is this just a camera backpack or a day pack/hiking pack that carries camera gear.

3. I agree that you don't want something that looks like a camera backpack. You may want to get a day pack and put an insert in it. Frankly, you don't really have that much camera gear (unless you're 3 lens are a 200mm zoom, a 400mm zoom and a 600mm zoom). The drone is what I would think will take up a lot of space (b/c I would think it is going to require a different kind of padding and protection from your lens or body). I don't know--maybe when it folds up it's very compact and easy to cushion. But most camera backpacks aren't designed for drones. So you're going to end up re-arranging the velcro straps and dividers anyway. Why not just buy an insert and then adjust to fit?

I will not hold everything you requested, I am not sure anything would and not be too cumbersome, but I use this as my main bag, Sitka Gearslinger I can fit 2-3 lenses, my flash, spare batteries, cords, ect and I hang the body off the hook when I am out shooting.

Hey guys!
I’m new to the forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me find the perfect camera bag. I want something that can hold a lot of gear because I have my dslr, 3 lenses, a flash, batteries, and the DJI Mavic Pro with controller and chargers. I really like the look of the brevitē backpack, but they don’t have enough storage for what I need. I’m also going to be doing a lot of traveling with it. And finally I’d like it to not look like a camera bag to keep it low key and because normal camera bags are pretty ugly. Thanks!

I also wanted a bag that didn't look like a camera bag. No reason to advertise to everyone that you're carrying valuable items. However, not all bags are the same so I do prefer one made for camera equipment. On one trip I was changing lens and had set my bag down on some stone steps when one of my favorite lens rolled out and fell about a foot! I now prefer bags with stiff sides and a fairly ridged back. For me the Lowpro Protactic 350 camera pack holds everything I need and is very protected, and it doesn't really look like a typical camera bag. It also provides fairly easy access to your camera. I'm sure there are many others that are similar. Got mine from B&H.

Hey guys!

I also wanted a bag that didn't look like a camera bag. No reason to advertise to everyone that you're carrying valuable items. However, not all bags are the same so I do prefer one made for camera equipment. On one trip I was changing lens and had set my bag down on some stone steps when one of my favorite lens rolled out and fell about a foot! I now prefer bags with stiff sides and a fairly ridged back. For me the Lowpro Protactic 350 camera pack holds everything I need and is very protected, and it doesn't really look like a typical camera bag. It also provides fairly easy access to your camera. I'm sure there are many others that are similar. Got mine from B&H.

I have the Protactic as well and love it. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it into any situations. I have the 350 and 450. You will probably need the 450.

Most reactions

Back