need help learning composition

Andres815

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi im new here and quite new to photography in general and would like to find out more about composition. What/where is the best way/place for learning it?

Google it!
Read as many sites as you can find.

Buy books (or look in your local library) on the subject.

Don't just look at one site, or read one book. Read everything you can get your hands on!
Read about composition and elements of design for fine art/painting/illustration/graphic design it applies to photography as well.

Read as much as you can, AND look for what you have read about in images from well known photographers (google them), in print ads, etc. Look for what you are reading about EVERYWHERE. Even TV and movies utilize the theory of composition. In video, you can watch transformations from one style of composition, the another.

Don't settle for reading one book, or one website. Authors will have different views, and describe things differently, so while one may be confusing, or lack specificity, another will give you that "ah hah!" moment.

Composition is more a reason for starting photography, it's something that usually comes naturally to some people. Look into the rule of thirds and framing photos, it'll be a start. I think the best way is practice, and look how other photographers use composition.

Composition can make or break an image, plain and simple. A technically perfect image with lousy composition is STILL a lousy image. There are no doubt thousands of articles on the web and books on the subject. There are many rules governing composition but never forget, they are never set in stone. The Composition Police will not issue tickets for breaking them, unless of course, your transgression is EGREGIOUS, at which point you DESERVE a ticket, maybe more than one. The best place to start is to learn what is called the rule of thirds. If you take your frame and divide it into thirds horizontally and vertically you now have your guidelines. Ideally your subject, of the main part of it at least, should fall on or near the intersection of two those lines. The more you learn and apply the rules and the more you shoot, the more instinctive good composition will become!

I actually like this compilation, check it out.

Visual image composition is a farily complex subject having many varied aspects.

The more complete and structured approaches to discussing the subject is found in books, like Michael Freeman's book - The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos

Then there is the related subject of creativity - The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos

When you watch TV or a movie, notice how the camera operators use the rule-of-thirds for framing, while remembering that TV and movies have to use a fixed horizontal format frame, while photographers have the vertical frame format available to them.

For help looking at images made by others - The Photographer's Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Agree with the recommendation to look at other photos. Each time, ask yourself what works & what doesn't. Especially if you also read up on it, this can help develop the "instinctive" sense of it.

I recommend looking at a lot different photos and finding an certain photographer that appeals to you. The rule of thirds is always something that you can use to compose a nice photo.

I like to compose my images with the thought of where the viewers eyes will go. You can compose your pictures in a way that tells the person looking at it where to start and where to finish. If you can predefine that in your view finder you will create some great images.

Most reactions

Back