Need Help on Nikon D300

dkofikyei

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am a rookie in photography, but guess what, I have been given an awesome gift of a Nikon D 300 Camera. Hmm, I have tried using the camera based on what the product manual recommends.

However, I realize that in most of the photos I take, the background gets into a sharp focus whilst the target is blurred.

I would be elated if anyone could help me with a step by step approach to setting the camera for effective use for three main settings. Sunny day Soccer photography, indoor still usage and soccer photography at night times (under floodlights).

My camera comes with two lenses, 70-300mm (1:4-5.6G) and 18-135mm (1:3.5-5.6G ED).

The curses of a camera like this is that they take a while to learn to get used to. There's no way to shoot, and no ideal setting for any type of situation.

I would suggest starting by looking through the manual at the focusing modes. If you're having trouble with back focus either the camera doesn't know what you want to point it at, or the focusing mode is set incorrectly. There are modes which will focus based on one point in the viewfinder, there are modes where the camera will guess what you want in focus.

Again this all will come naturally after your first 10000 or so photos. So I suggest grab the manual, the camera, and a caffeinated beverage of choice. Start reading what the options are playing with them. And shooting random photos of trees or other things close by to figure out how the camera reacts.

Hi there,
I am a rookie in photography, but guess what, I have been given an awesome gift of a Nikon D 300 Camera. Hmm, I have tried using the camera based on what the product manual recommends.

However, I realize that in most of the photos I take, the background gets into a sharp focus whilst the target is blurred.

I would be elated if anyone could help me with a step by step approach to setting the camera for effective use for three main settings. Sunny day Soccer photography, indoor still usage and soccer photography at night times (under floodlights).

My camera comes with two lenses, 70-300mm (1:4-5.6G) and 18-135mm (1:3.5-5.6G ED).

Hi dko,

congrats on that D300! That is a mighty fine camera. Now it's up to you to learn how to use it properly.

First order of business is how to get pictures with the subject in focus. That's on pages 22, 47, 48, 49, 51, 52, 62, 63, 66, 67, and 68 of your D300 manual.

Next is "Sunny day Soccer photography": set ISO 200, and check page 109 of your camera's manual.

Then you asked about "indoor still usage": what do you mean "still"? On tripod? Handheld? With available light? With (built-in peanut) flash? Please expand.

And finally "soccer photography at night times (under floodlights)": there is not enough light (although the D300 has a special WB setting for sodium vapour lighting) for shooting sharp photos of moving objects (and subjects), which is what a soccer game is. You need either much, much more (flash) light (like with a BetterBeamer) in order to stop motion at some distance, or you need a tripod and non-moving subjects.

Have fun!

(second, identical, post since the first was cut without reasons given).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back