Need help picking a 24-70

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I put up a post in the equipment forum because I didn't see this one. So I thought I would give this forum a shot. I was initially trying to decide between the new nikkor 24-70 VR and it's predecessor. Most of the reviews on the new lens aren't exactly glowing. I've have also started to consider the Tamron 24-70. The Tamron has very good reviews and is considerably cheaper. I can afford the new Nikkor VR but I wouldn't be too upset with saving $1,000 if the Tamron can get the job done.

It's going to be a general purpose "walk around" lens.

So what do you guys think of these three?

The Tamron will get the job done.

I like the Tamron too!

I have no experience with any of them. So I'll guess the VR Nikkor will be softer because of the VR feature and the Non VR version of the lens will perform better. The Tamron is likely to be about the same as the VR Nikkor in terms of performance but not as sturdy or reliable. So without personal experience I would choose the non-VR version of the Nikkor. I can't imagine why you would need VR for this focal length range anyway. But the Tamron is probably a better value overall if you don't beat your gear up. In the end my pick would be the non-VR Nikkor.

I am a little out of place here in my response as I am a Canon shooter but I just recently went through the process of selecting a 24-70 myself. My decision came down to the Tamron and the Canon 2.8L II.

Ultimately I chose the Canon over the Tamron simply because I had the money for it and it did have a few upsides for me (however, probably not worth the extra dough especially in my case), but I tried both lenses and I can honestly say it was pretty spectacular. I am no expert by any means and am still very new so take my opinion for what you will, but in the research I did the Tamron at least on paper and in the little bit of testing I did seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

I picked up the original 24-70mm Nikon last year for $1000. Perfect condition on Craigslist. It's been amazing having it for events. I also take it as a walk around lens as I don't think its too heavy on a D750 at all. I bet you could score one for $1300, saving you loads compared to the VR version.

The Tamron is pretty awesome for the money and the 6 year warranty is top notch.. You should try greentoe.. Bet you could save even more money... The Nikon will be more robust but if you treat your gear halfway decently it shouldn't be a problem..

I have the 24-70f2.8 lens. I use it often when I'm distance limited or studio work. I'd not consider it a walk around lens but I suppose there's not much better, I usually use a 50mm prime. My experience with lenses other than Nikkor is that they're capable, cheaper and ALMOST as good.

The Tamron is pretty awesome for the money and the 6 year warranty is top notch.. You should try greentoe.. Bet you could save even more money... The Nikon will be more robust but if you treat your gear halfway decently it shouldn't be a problem..

I'd agree wholeheartedly. I'm a huge fan of Tamron lenses myself, I own two, bought both used and never had any issues with either.

I went with an older model 28-75 F/2.8 myself since I shoot full frame, and I've been extremely happy with it. It produces fantastic photos.

I believe the Tamron is built better and is more robust.

I can't qualify that claim, just as the Nikon guys can't. :02.47-tranquillity:

I recently got the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC and it's excellent. Well built, great color, the VC works extremely well and it's made in Japan. However the onion bokeh is real. I haven't shot anything with really big, noticeable bokeh balls yet, but when I zoom in on smaller ones they are definitely onion-ish. It doesn't bother me (at least not yet) but it is something to be aware of.

I'd agree wholeheartedly. I'm a huge fan of Tamron lenses myself, I own two, bought both used and never had any issues with either.

I went with an older model 28-75 F/2.8 myself since I shoot full frame, and I've been extremely happy with it. It produces fantastic photos.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really leaning towards the Tamron. I have another Tamron already and I really like it. Why did you get the older model? I only ask because I too will be using the lens on a full frame camera.

I am a little out of place here in my response as I am a Canon shooter but I just recently went through the process of selecting a 24-70 myself. My decision came down to the Tamron and the Canon 2.8L II.

Ultimately I chose the Canon over the Tamron simply because I had the money for it and it did have a few upsides for me (however, probably not worth the extra dough especially in my case), but I tried both lenses and I can honestly say it was pretty spectacular. I am no expert by any means and am still very new so take my opinion for what you will, but in the research I did the Tamron at least on paper and in the little bit of testing I did seemed to be the best bang for the buck.
The Nikkor they are referring to would be comparable to a Canon L lens. I have little experience with Tamron lenses. My impression is that they generally perform quite well optically. The one Tamron I have is not built like a high end Nikkor or Canon L lens. I would describe it as a lightweight amateur lens. It makes sharp images but I wouldn't trust it for a professional location shoot. It could well be the answer for the OP depending on who is paying for the image making.

I have the 24-70f2.8 lens. I use it often when I'm distance limited or studio work. I'd not consider it a walk around lens but I suppose there's not much better, I usually use a 50mm prime. My experience with lenses other than Nikkor is that they're capable, cheaper and ALMOST as good.

Is there that much of an improvement in a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 prime over one of these lenses set at 50mm? I suppose I could get a 50mm prime and then get the 24-70 later if I felt I needed it. It just seems like a waste to get both. I only have one prime lens and it is a special use lens. I don't have any experience with general use primes.

The Nikkor they are referring to would be comparable to a Canon L lens. I have little experience with Tamron lenses. My impression is that they generally perform quite well optically. The one Tamron I have is not built like a high end Nikkor or Canon L lens. I would describe it as a lightweight amateur lens. It makes sharp images but I wouldn't trust it for a professional location shoot. It could well be the answer for the OP depending on who is paying for the image making.

I am strictly amateur. I don't sell my work or offer my services professionally. My lenses don't usually take much of a beating.

Every time I take my Tamron lenses to photoshoots, they are stubborn and just completely refuse to shoot--such divas. Don't trust them. They might wear a gold sash, but they are silver at best.

Most reactions

Back