Need help to Choose a camera

when i check the specs Canon 600D, 650D, 700D Vs Nikon D5200, D5300
nikon wins
That part is almost irrelevant. Who cares about slightly better values here or there ? Modern cameras all offer good performance.

The crucial question is for you to get a camera that gives you good control over the photographic process, that gives you the lenses you need, and that you will enjoy shooting.

Available lens selection is very important, many say the most important. For example Canon just published two wideangle lenses that are groundbreaking. One of them, a full frame lens, is just the same thing as Nikon offers(1) (and that I own, see my sig), but the other is a CHEAP wide angle lens(2) with near perfect performance for half format (aka APS-C aka Canon EF-S aka Nikon DX - used in the cheaper DSLRs, which is what you contemplate to get). Thats a pretty strong incentive right now to go Canon EF-S, because Nikon has nothing compareable. And yes, there will be people who tell you to just get full frame lenses for your half format camera - but those are needlessly large, heavy, and often a lot more expensive as well (small series plus more ), plus you cannot get wide angle since you have to multiply 1.5 (for Canon 1.6) to get the effective focal length - i.e. a 50mm full frame lens will give you the angle of view of a 75mm if you use that 50mm on a half format camera, since the half format sensor is much smaller and only shows you the center of the frame.

Ergonomics just cannot be underestimated. What use is the greatest camera if it needlessly keeps getting in the way of taking pictures ? A good camera will give you the controls to allow you to change parameters directly and quickly, and is comfortable to hold and use.

Enjoying to shoot a camera is of course a very subjective thing. Theres Ergonomics, for once. Size and weight of the camera. A feature that you might massively enjoy (for example personally I consider flipscreens an awesome idea since it gives you so many new options for unusual angles) is a lot more valueable than one or another slightly better measurement in the laboratory. Thats for example why I still shoot my D5100 - it has a flipscreen, while neither Canon nor Nikon offer such a feature (Sony does, but its an icky one). Another example - if video is one of your interests - to date, video on Canon has been always better.

which camera should i buy ?
The Canikon (i.e. either Canon or Nikon) DSLR system is the most mature right now.

Micro Four Thirds is a very nice small camera (both Panasonic and Olympus are making cameras for it, and theres quite a lot of lens makers for this format as well) with many high quality prime lenses - and pretty good zooms as well. Small sensors means inferior performance - but it might still be "good enough" for you.

(1) Thats the Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS L, made after the already existent Nikon AF-S 16-35mm f/4 VR (IS = Image Stabilization, VR = Vibration Reduction, its just a different name and shortcut for the same thing)

(2) Thats the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, for just about 300$. While Nikon DX alternatives to that are only slightly cheaper than their full frame equivalents.

If 'full fledged' professional support is the stumbling block then I don't see that has any relevance for the OP or most other photographers.

Again you completely misunderstand. By support, I mean aftermarket support - not technical support. Step back, take a deep breath and understand that just because mirrorless might be a really great option for SOME, that does not make it the best choice for ALL. I am not nor have I ever said anything bad about mirrorless, just pointing out to the op that given their statements I wouldn't recommend mirrorless for them.

Look at the number of NATIVE lenses available for most mirrorless systems, and their relative cost. Scratch any lens that will require an adapter and be manual focus only off that list of consideration because we are talking about a camera choice for someone who is most likely going to want autofocus on their lenses, being new and relatively inexperienced. Then try to understand that this is what is meant by the SUPPORT for mirrorless not being the same as what it is for a DSLR.

I understand that you use mirrorless and apparently you think you need to defend your chosen technology. But stop, take a deep breath and for the love of God try to understand that your technology choice is not under attack here. Then try to understand that even though it may well have been the best choice for YOU, that doesn't make it the best choice for EVERYONE.

Exactly what aftermarket support are you refering to? I've never needed anything other than a hood or lens caps on any of my lenses. A regular CLA might be required for professional use, but not for an enthusiast such as myself let alone the average occasional photographer.

I use DSLRs as well as mirrorless so actually have a foot in both camps. You are the only one who has said that one option is the way to go. Those of us suggesting mirrorless have all basically said don't rule them out without trying them. My hands are a little big for the Panasonic button layout, but thats not enough to overrule the weight advantage when out with the family.

Looking at the native micro four thirds lenses that I own, I have a 14-42 zoom costing me £45 (28-84 equivalent which on it's own may be enough for the OP) and a 45-200 if he needs to get closer (90-400 equivalent costing ~£150) I don't have anything native wider than the kit lens yet but there is a fisheye option for <£100. I've not seen CaNikon DSLR lenses significantly below these prices.

Again with the frequently requested UWA field there are a couple of lenses available. The Olympus 9-18 (18-36 EFL) listed at £630 RRP. Canon DSLR lenses in this range are more expensive, the EF-S 10-22 (15-33 EFL) being £990, the EF-S 15-85 (22-128 EFL) £900 & the Nikon 10-24 (15-36 EFL) £834. These are not direct equivalents but they're the cheapest equivalent options listed in 'What Digital Camera'. The reports I've heard of the Olypus 9-18 have all been very good so I don't think the relative costs here are actually in favor of DSLRs. The extreme telephoto range is less well covered by mirrorless native lenses but this is not an issue for macro/portrait/landscape work, and tends to be beyond most peoples budgets in all formats!

You say you 'wouldn't recommend mirrorless' & think 'dslr will be your best bet to start with' without giving any reasons relevant to the OP.
If the subjects of interest were fast moving then I'd agree with you, and admit my own prefered DSLR brand Pentax lag somewhat here. The truth is that either option will work quite adaquately for the specified uses.

I'm glad you agree 'the best choice for YOU, that doesn't make it the best choice for EVERYONE' This is EXACTLY the point we were making in suggesting the OP investigates mirrorless options as well!

To the op, again I wouldn't recommend mirrorless because of the limited native lens selection that most have, and if your investing in a system better to invest in one that is going to give you more options at this stage.

You might start of thinking hey, I don't really need telephoto only to discover later that you do and at that stage you really don't want to discover you only have one very expensive choice or you'll need an adapter and will have to manually focus.

Once you've been shooting for a while that might be a good time to consider it as an option, but first starting out I really think you'll be better off with a system that gives you a lot more options.

Just my two cents worth of course, if you have any other questions feel free to pm. I have no desire to start some form of holy war here and frankly not much point in trying to converse with people who are obviously not reading before responding.

I'm still waiting for a quotation ..
As soon as i got that i'm going to buy canon 700D or nikon D5300 ..

I will post here what i brought :D
thanks for all precious advices ..

To the op, again I wouldn't recommend mirrorless because of the limited native lens selection that most have, and if your investing in a system better to invest in one that is going to give you more options at this stage.

You might start of thinking hey, I don't really need telephoto only to discover later that you do and at that stage you really don't want to discover you only have one very expensive choice or you'll need an adapter and will have to manually focus.

Once you've been shooting for a while that might be a good time to consider it as an option, but first starting out I really think you'll be better off with a system that gives you a lot more options.

Let me get this right, your saying the OP shouldn't consider a compact system camera (AKA mirrorless) because they MIGHT later decide they want an extreme telephoto beyond what is CURRENTLY available in that system. That's the weakest argument I head in years.

DSLRs are better for most extreme telephoto work, but it's not an area mirrorless are incapable off. Micro four thirds offer native auto focuses lenses up to 600mm equivalent focal length (both Panasonic & Olympus do these). My £150 native telephoto goes to 400mm equivalent which was certainly considered extreme in film days. An AF DSLR lens reaching to 600mm EFL will generally cost thousands so £1400 for the Panaosonic 100-300 (that's 200-600 equiv) is not an expensive option. Yes Sigma do a 150-500 thats under £1000 and reaches 750mm EFL on APSC so cheaper options are available for DSLRs, but they are VERY heavy (I've got one) and not in the region the OP is expecting to be using.

You think the lighter option should only be considered once an investment in a DSLR system has been built up? Surely it's best to investigate it first. If it doesn't suit them fine.

IMO a better argument would be that those around you assume that a bigger camera means you're more of a serious photographer.

Last edited:
My advice, buy a used camera and play around with it. Some people buy cameras and then realize that photography isn't something they like doing. Then they have an expensive camera that they don't use and don't want to sell because they'll lose too much money on it. You can avoid this by purchasing a used camera, if you don't like it, sell it for the same price. Purchase some books and get to know what your style is and what you really like shooting. Photography can become very expensive, different circumstances will call for different lenses. Lenses aren't cheap. But if it's something that you end up liking, you can slowly upgrade and all of your photography expenses can become well worth it. :D

My advice, buy a used camera and play around with it. Some people buy cameras and then realize that photography isn't something they like doing. Then they have an expensive camera that they don't use and don't want to sell because they'll lose too much money on it. You can avoid this by purchasing a used camera, if you don't like it, sell it for the same price. Purchase some books and get to know what your style is and what you really like shooting. Photography can become very expensive, different circumstances will call for different lenses. Lenses aren't cheap. But if it's something that you end up liking, you can slowly upgrade and all of your photography expenses can become well worth it. :D

Yup i thought about that, but it needed to be tested before buying but if anything miss and it will be a total waste of money.
That's why i'm going to new one.

Yup i thought about that, but it needed to be tested before buying but if anything miss and it will be a total waste of money.
That's why i'm going to new one.
Manufacturer refurbished is another option to consider. Nikon gives only a 90-day warranty for refurbished products, but Canon gives a full year. Olympus calls these "Reconditioned", and they, too, restrict the warranty to 90 days (though there is a "30-day money back guarantee excluding the cost of shipping").

The refurbished products, when bought from the manufacturer (not a retailer like B&H), are repaired and thoroughly tested by the manufacturer. They should be as good as new.

I'd say the Nikon D5200, I use the D5100 and it's great. I love it a lot. It gets amazing photos. But do a lot of researching to make sure you get the best camera for you

Today i brought a Nikon D5300 with 18-55mm lens .. And thank you for all who help me to chose this .. :D :D

Today i brought a Nikon D5300 with 18-55mm lens .. And thank you for all who help me to chose this .. :D :D

Congratulation on buying a wonderful camera, now its time to think what lens you are going to buy with it :)

Enjoy

Congratulation on buying a wonderful camera, now its time to think what lens you are going to buy with it :)

Enjoy

I'm looking to buy 55-300mm or 70-300mm lens but no money at this time :(

I have a problem .. when i go through the movie settings .. i noticed that this has no 1080p 60fps .. only 1080p 50fps .. anyone know why is it ?

Most reactions

Back