Need help to Choose a camera

ebhathiya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i'm going to buy my first DSLR camera .. And it is little bit difficult to find a right camera for me ( I'm a beginner and i have no knowledge about photography )

I'm interested in Canon 600D, 650D, 700D, Nikon D5200, D5300
when i check the specs Canon 600D, 650D, 700D Vs Nikon D5200, D5300
nikon wins
when i look into reviews Canon and nikon both wins ( i can't find any reviews for canon 700D vs nikon D5300 )

which camera should i buy ?

Last edited:
i'm going to buy my first DSLR camera .. And it is little bit difficult to find a right camera for me ( I'm a beginner and i have no knowledge about photography )

I'm interested in Canon 600D, 650D, 700D, Nikon D5200, D5300
when i check the specs Canon 600D, 650D, 700D Vs Nikon D5200, D5300
nikon wins
when i look into revives Canon and nikon both wins ( i can't find any revive for canon 700D vs nikon D5300 )

which camera should i buy ?

Well really any of the cameras on your list will do a very good job in most circumstances. When I choose my cameras - I went with the Nikon D5200's, I based that choice off of the newer 24 mp sensors they have, which meant both a higher dynamic range and better low light abilities (high iso to low noise ratio). Those were very important aspects to me, particularly the 24 mp sensor since a lot of what I shoot is telephoto and the higher MP means I can crop more and still end up with good results.

The other thing I recommend you do is look at not just the camera you plan on buying now, but look at the more expensive cameras you might want to upgrade too later on as well. That was what sold me most on the Nikon, I knew I wouldn't be upgrading to full frame and when I looked at the Canon lineup really not a lot of differences in their crop sensor line up because most of them use the same sensor.

There are some very good points to Canon, however - don't get me wrong. Most of the Canon's do have a larger buffer so you can shoot more frames before the camera has to slow down to write the information out to the card which can be helpful in certain shooting situations.

So I'd take a look at the camera you might think you would want to upgrade next and consider that as well - because your not so much buying a camera as you are investing into a camera system, one that you will most likely stick with for years to come.

Actually i'm buying this to keep it for a long time .. due to budget ( buying D3300 or less can save money but i can't buy again a camera for a long time )
Which one would be the best ? canon 700D or nikon D5300 ? not only the specs but it should be easier on handling and also there need to be good lenses also ..

Your not giving any information on what use you'll put the camera to. The best camera for landscapes might not be much good for action.
For routine use - snapshots & not challenging subjects such as wildlife or astronomy - I'd expect any DSLR from the last 5 years will be cabable enough, though the ease of use will vary significantly.

IMO one of the most important things in choosing a camera is subjective, and comes down to ergonomics. How does it feel in your hand? Do you like the way the menus are arranged?

I know Canon & Nikon have better AF systems than the Pentax DSLRs I use, but I find their user interface awful.
I frequently use my micro four thirds cameras in preference to a DSLR, even though they don't sit quite so well in my hand. The camera bag is significantly lighter (even with a spare body) which is a big gain if I'm carrying it around all day, the ergonomics here are still fairly good but my hands are a bit big for them so I hit buttons by mistake more often. For photo intensive days such as motorsports the heavyweights still get used.

Your not giving any information on what use you'll put the camera to. The best camera for landscapes might not be much good for action.
For routine use - snapshots & not challenging subjects such as wildlife or astronomy - I'd expect any DSLR from the last 5 years will be cabable enough, though the ease of use will vary significantly.

IMO one of the most important things in choosing a camera is subjective, and comes down to ergonomics. How does it feel in your hand? Do you like the way the menus are arranged?

I know Canon & Nikon have better AF systems than the Pentax DSLRs I use, but I find their user interface awful.
I frequently use my micro four thirds cameras in preference to a DSLR, even though they don't sit quite so well in my hand. The camera bag is significantly lighter (even with a spare body) which is a big gain if I'm carrying it around all day, the ergonomics here are still fairly good but my hands are a bit big for them so I hit buttons by mistake more often. For photo intensive days such as motorsports the heavyweights still get used.

I'm going to use this for macro, landscape and portrait ( allrounder :D - not for sports ) ..

I'm going to use this for macro, landscape and portrait ( allrounder :D - not for sports ) ..
Well as a nikon shooter I am a bit biased but for landscapes in particular I'd go with the nikon, the higher mp sensor and better dynamic range will make for better end results.

Please consider lenses when buying a new camera. Chances are you will be using the same body for some years and will acquire new lenses over that time. Go and have a look at prices for the lenses that fit your needs, that way you will have an idea of which is the best deal for you. I personally had the D5100 and I can say its a hell of a camera. Over that time I used it for some friends weddings using the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens and I took some great pictures with it. I recently got the D7100 and I'm really happy with it.

Any one had any bad experience with any of these cameras ?

Last edited:
Both are good cameras. I've always used Nikon and never had a problem. I started with the D60, then the D5100 and now the D7100 and always have been happy with them. No problems at all. Only thing I can say about of Canon is that my best friend use them and never had a problem that I know of.

The Canon 600D(T3i/Kiss X5), 650D(T4i/Kiss X6i), 700D(T5i/Kiss X7i) are all essentially the same camera, each higher number with some minor upgrade.

The 3 use the same 18 MP image sensor.
The T3i uses Canon's Digic 4 image processor, while the T4i and T5i use the Digic 5 image processor.
​Canon EOS 700D versus Canon EOS 650D versus Canon EOS 600D - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Here you can see the 2 Nikon cameras have an image sensor that offers better performance.
Nikon D5300 versus Canon EOS 700D versus Nikon D5200 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Last edited:
The main thing you have to decide is which system to "marry" with. Once in the future you may be buying new lenses for this system, that will make any change of system in the future a hard thing to do. I "married" with Nikon, and today I have many lenses for the Nikon mount. It is more and more hard to change from Nikon to Sony or Canon, or whatever other DLSR brand. But I am pretty happy with my Nikon choice.

As both cameras are great, try to concentrate which system will make you more happy in the long run. Consider the number/quality/price of lenses, superior camera bodies and assessories in general. If you fall in love for the DSLR world, you really have to consider that.

I'd recommend Nikon just because that was my own choice. Nothing else. But in fact, Sony, Canon, Pentax etc. are as good as Nikon. My personal choice was based on the number of lenses availible (Nikon has a bit more), its quality, the higher megapixel (that most people just don't like), and the personal recommendations of some Nikonian friends I have. If I had more Canionian friends, or Sonian, or Pentaxian friends, I could have gone a different way. Most chose Sony because Sony is really trying to be a head of Nikon and Canon on tech improvements, and that's a fact nowadays, like mirrorless, and eletronic viewfinders etc. Some prefer the old way, with optical viewfinder and heavy SLRs etc.

Read this article:
Nikon vs Canon vs Sony

It will give you some tips about what I am trying to say here.

In the end, it's all about you.

The D5200 is a hell of a good camera. Here are my Nikon D5200 sample shots, with several different lenses:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruimc/sets/

The D5300 is its evolution.

Have a look and let us know who will you "marry" with. Good luck!!

Watch that too:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very poor video.

It's all about using a DSLR to shoot video rather than stills.
The guy gives misleading information since how many MP an image sensor has has nothing to do with the image sensor size.

You should also go to a store if possible, and check each model out. As petrochemist mentioned, ergonomics may play an important part in your final decision.
Robbins.photo's first sentence in his first post is dead on also. With that in mind, I would suggest bouncing around the internet and checking out photos from different camera and lens combos in the area of photography you are most interested in. Over a million full-size sample photos from SLR and mirrorless cameras combined with different lenses Your findings may also sway your final decision.

At some point your knowledge and skill level as a photographer will be more important than a sensor in two begginer camera models.

Of the cameras you listed, I would go Nikon :) macro-landscape-potrait.

The thing is comparing Nikon and Canon is like comparing Ford (European models) and Honda, there not too different really. You could say Honda would edge it on reliability and gadgetry in the car that might not come as standard in a Ford. Similarly Nikon cameras,it would appear edge past Canon in the consumer market anyway.

I have a Nikon D5100, my first DLSR, and I think it's fine. I use it for all types of photos, My brother has an identical model which he used for video and my dad has an old F200 film slr. What I'm saying is people are mostly on one side or the other.

Have a look around and see what offers are available both brands usually have them running all year.
I agree with JacaRanda the camera is only as good as the person behind it.

Last edited:

If the portraits are formal (not candids or kids) then AF speed shouldn't be too relevant for you. (Most practitioners of true macro switch to manual focus)
High ISO performance will be moderately useful for macro, and perhaps the other two if done in low light situations. This is the field I think newer cameras have the biggest gains.
Despite marketing hype if your output is going to be computer screens & prints of A4 or less 5 or 6 megapixel after cropping will be enough. Heavy cropping might be tempting for macro, but isn't very likely for Landscape & portrait work.
Longer focal length lenses will be of limited interest for those subject types.
An older camera should be capable of producing good results in all of these fields, which is good news on a tight budget. If you get the bug there will be frequent temptation to upgrade cameras/lens & accessories, but I gather it is possible to resit & still produce stunning images!

In my experience macro puts high demands on technique, (but can be done with limited hardware) so expect a high proportion of failures there to begin with.
A good eye for composition is enough to get reasonable images in landscape & portraiture, though great images obviously require more, (perhaps one day I'll know exactly what).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back