Need Help to Sale AlienBees B800 lights, stands, clamps

vtgquilts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
UPDATE: These have now been sold (9/25/10). Thank you.

I am not a photographer, so please forgive the lack of technical terms.

I have 4 AlienBees lights (B800, WS 320), 2 Lightgear USA stands (LS3900), and 2 big light clamps (they hook on the stands & hold the lights), all barely used.

I sell antique & vintage quilts & linens. A few years ago, I hired a photographer to come in & assess my needs to be able to photograph the quilts for online sales.

The quilts are large and they need to hang for the photos. On his recommendation, I purchased the above equipment. He also had me purchase a camera that could hook up with the lights with a wire to make them flash. The last thing he had me purchase were two other light stands so I could run a pole between them and hang the quilts on the pole. The financial output was really large, but I need a way to photograph these.

Long story short ... I am not a photographer. Try as I might, I never could figure out how to get the lighting correct. I read, researched, asked questions on forums, etc. And gave up. Learning to use all of this equipment had to be secondary to my actual business. After a very short time, I had to move on to something that I could understand how to work ... 4 bright lights (purchased from EZCube) that stay on until I turn them off. I have continued using the new camera & same way to hang the quilts.

So, here I am with the AlienBees lights, the 2 Lightgear stands, & the 2 heavy clamp things. I need to sale them, don't know where to start, and really could use some advice.

How do I know how much to ask - they were purchased July 2006, but were barely used and stored in a hall closet since?

When I list these, do I need to include photos of them or do the brand & model numbers speak for themselves?

What other information do I need to include?

And do y'all have any suggestions for shipping these (other than pack very well padded)?

Last edited:
These are some of the most popular studio lights around, I would think that anyone in the market for them, will know what they look like. But it's usually a good idea to include photos of the gear, so that people can see the condition they are in.

I would suggest trying to sell these locally, for pick up only. It may take longer to sell them, but shipping all that stuff would be a hassle and cost a fair bit.

As for how much to ask for them. I'd guess that you could get anywhere from 50% to 85% of what you paid for them.

I would suggest trying to sell these locally, for pick up only. It may take longer to sell them, but shipping all that stuff would be a hassle and cost a fair bit.

As for how much to ask for them. I'd guess that you could get anywhere from 50% to 85% of what you paid for them.

Agreed. Try Craigslist and/or Ebay. If you split these items up on Ebay and listed them as "lightly used/like new", you could probably get a fair amount of your money back. You may be able to sell them here, but you are a new member with some fairly high dollar items, and member trust kinda comes into play... unless someone happens to be in your area who can physically see and test them before paying.

Hey was just wondering if you have sold them yet? My husband is working on opening a studio and he has mentioned wanting these. He is just starting out so we still have a lot of thing to get. Let me know! Willing to pay for shipping. I don't know exactly how this works would love to talk to you, but I guess I have to post five times before I can email you my number. If you can email me, please do and I will call you.

Thanks,

Jennifer:blushing:

Isnt it amazing how somebody NEW posts something for sale and just so happens another NEW member on their first post just so happens to want exactly what is for sale.....

kind like the twilight zone.......wierd... :)

failed_2.jpg

Did you already sold it? I can pick it up so you don't have to pack anything... can you send pictures? Thanks

So many new people wanting this AB. Sorta makes me want it! Not. I do smell something odd here, like sachphotography said...

So many new people wanting this AB. Sorta makes me want it! Not. I do smell something odd here, like sachphotography said...

I is just so Funny... There was a thread a few day ago about a Bronica Lens for sale....a random lens and right after it was posted someone popped up.... I was just looking for this lens!!!! and it was sold..... LOL very funny. People think were dumb...

BTW I am selling my Phase One Leaf Camera 50mp for 20,000
OMG I want to buy it
SOLD!!!!

:)

never got an answer from this guy, I smell some scam around here.

C'mon y'all. I'm sorry. I have never been on this forum before I started this thread, so it's not something I remembered to check back on. I asked my questions, and y'all were kind enough to provide answers. I planned to follow the advice given ... to sell these on eBay or locally on Craigslist.

Then somebody was talking about the possibility of bartering a couple of the lights for photographing our daughter's wedding in November. That fell through because they do indoor photography and the wedding is outdoors.

Last night I saw on my email that I had 3 private messages from here in the past couple of weeks.

No, these are not yet sold.
I contacted one of the people last night that sent me a message because he is close enough that I wouldn't have to ship them. But I haven't heard back from him yet.

Again, I'm sorry that I didn't follow up to let y'all know the status of the lights. It was not my intention to be inconsiderate.

I will check this a couple of times a day and let y'all know if the person that I responded to contacts me in the next day or so.

Most reactions

Back