Need help w/ art assignment

858Smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but i need some help.

i'm the LEAST artistic person alive, & my art [extra credit] photography project calls for 3 things:

representation/naturalistic image

abstract image

non-objective/non-representational image

of course, i know the definitions of each after looking in my textbook lol i just can't think of what to shoot!

any ideas?

thanks, everyone :)

So, let me ask you...

This is your course. Don't you think the thought and effort and vision that goes into the project should be your own?

i wish, there isn't any in my town (seriously), & yes, but they won't be ;)

That sentence didn't even make sense.

Go do your own work. Seriously. Pull your own weight.

i meant it in a way to reply to each reply. you're right, but i didn't think it was wrong to ask for ideas. it's not like i asked anyone to get my camera & do the work FOR me.

This is art. The idea is 3/4 of the thing.

If you're uncreative and you're in an art class you either need to learn to be creative, or... as Traveler suggested.. drop the course and go do something else.

What's the point of even attempting an art class if you've no intention of learning to be creative?

Seriously.

Not to sound like the old fart that I am, but... "kids these days..."

i appreciate your unsolicited insight, but like i said, i wasn't wanting anyone to do it for me, but ideas, like the above poster just mentioned graffiti. you mean to tell me you've shot things that were entirely YOUR idea? never used inspiration from anyone or anything? i highly doubt that, especially w/ 9,928 posts.

just b/c i mentioned i wasn't creative or artistic at all, i should just drop it. i wanted to challenge myself & got through this whole semester w/ an A so far, so obviously i'm doing SOMETHING right. i hit a rock, got stuck, & was looking for some advice.

you must be bored.

i appreciate your unsolicited insight, but like i said, i wasn't wanting anyone to do it for me, but ideas, like the above poster just mentioned graffiti. you mean to tell me you've shot things that were entirely YOUR idea? never used inspiration from anyone or anything? i highly doubt that, especially w/ 9,928 posts.

just b/c i mentioned i wasn't creative or artistic at all, i should just drop it. i wanted to challenge myself & got through this whole semester w/ an A so far, so obviously i'm doing SOMETHING right. i hit a rock, got stuck, & was looking for some advice.

you must be bored.

I don't need to defend or explain myself to you. You're welcome to think what you like, but what I'm telling you is if you're looking for "ideas" here that you're missing the point... and missing the boat.

Good luck in your art career.

:lol:

well, you were trying to defend yourself. i'm sure there are more posts somewhere out there that need your genius advice. thanks for the good luck. good luck to you getting to 11,000 posts tonight. i do believe it'll happen since you obviously have nothing else to do :)

Uhhh... yeah. K.

As an artist I'm offended by this request to do your work and yes, that is exactly what this is.

got through this whole semester w/ an A so far
So what? Is the goal to get A's or to learn? Learn to think. Have some integrity, some morality. Now, get off the internet and start taking responsibility for yourself.

Such 'art assignments' are a nonsense. All you can learn in an art course is technique (worth it) and arty farty blah blah (not worth it). You know if you're artistic or not and it's not something you can be taught. If, as you say, you're the 'LEAST artistic person alive' then you might well want to reconsider your course.

Here's yet another thread where board users start going after a student. At least it's not a high school kid this time. The OP asked for an idea, not for anyone to do his homework - board users can offer an idea or don't have to post a comment at all.

Maybe for your class you could think about what you see around you that shows pattern, shape, etc. - you could look at something close up(or from far away so that you see it in a different way. Have you looked at sites like MOMA? that might help jump start an idea for your assignment.

Last edited:
Here's a thread where the OP is advised to be honest, stand on their own 2 feet and do the assignment to the best of their ability and not to take the easy way out. Nope, sorry, as someone who has taught art, I'll stand by my comments. The instructor deserves your best shot at it.

Most reactions

Back