need help with a new lens. help please

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,

Right now I have the 50mm 1.8 and the standard lens that came with my D60. I am trying to take pictures of clothing, it seems that the 1.8 offers me great quality but I can't fit the entire shirt,pants, suit in the frame. The lens that came with my kit allows me to fit everything but its not as clear and sharp. I really don't know a lot about any particular lens but is there anything in between? Something that is sharp like the 50mm 1.8 but just a bit wider so I can fit the item in the frame.

thanks

The Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 is also a good sharp lens.

Will I be able to fit more into the frame? Like a shirt or like pants

Will I be able to fit more into the frame? Like a shirt or like pants
If your kit lens is the 18-55mm....then 17-50mm is pretty close, so yes.

Can you show us an example of the shots that you are getting, along with the EXIF data? I'd bet that the lens isn't to blame for your issues.

okay this is what I have tried so far.

DSC_0137.jpg

This is another picture I forgot to post. Both pictures were taken with 2 Sb-600, I put one above the shirt and one on the right side of the shirt. I have terrible lighting in my house, almost no lighting at all as a matter of fact. Let me know how I can improve the picture. I am looking to get more details and sharper picture overall.
DSC_0170.jpg

Unless you are trying to show the texture of the fabric, you would probably be better off to just light them evenly. In a room with a white ceiling, point both flashes up and bounce them down onto the clothes. Shoot with an aperture of at least F8....F11 (or even F16) might be better yet. A tripod might not be required because you are using flash...but it wouldn't hurt.

i believe they also make a 28mm? f/1.8 that would work a little better.

Both of the images that you posted were shot at 28mm. The $449 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II mentioned above is optically superior to your kit lens with the same very useful range of focal lengths. If you could back up just a little more, the $200 AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G might work for you. Try setting your zoom lens to 35mm and shooting a few images to see if you could live with that focal length. The $439 Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM might be another possibility if you're looking for a prime lens around 28mm.

Here are a couple of reviews to get you started:
Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Nikon) - Test Report / Review
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G - Test Report / Review

Most reactions

Back