Need help with a tricky lighting venue (wedding!)

You just found out that you'll be photographing in a 4 story glass building?? This 'doing a favor for ___' (cousin, friend of a friend) seems to not usually be the best idea instead of referring them to a pro who has the equipment and knowhow to do this.

I would suggest you get over there before Saturday at the appropriate time of day and take some test shots if the venue could let you stop in and do that. If not go early I guess and do some daytime test shots to at least see what glare/reflections you might be getting, and as they're getting ready to start the ceremony and it's starting to get dark do a quick test shot to get set/adjust settings.

With that much light coming in starting out you might be able to use the existing light maybe? Once it's getting dark I don't know what the existing light indoors will be like but think about which way you're facing and the backgrounds to get the ceremony and hopefully minimal glare/reflection if you intend to use a flash. You might need to keep checking and adjusting as the sun goes down and indoor light becomes what you're using. I've found doing events where they raise and lower lights or have spotlights (or a TV crew's lights) that I've had to change and adjust fairly quickly.

Oh yeah -- its my cousin -- (this happened to me once before 20 years ago when my OTHER cousin was getting married - it started out that they were getting married in my aunt/uncles' back yard -- it ended up a full Catholic mass in a church in the round. OY VEY! That worked out okay)

I will be there Friday an hour earlier and will stay till 5:30 if they'll let me - the service is at 5 Saturday.

Thank you !

What about flashing straight up ir even in a slight angle backwarts. I once shot at a art gallery where erverything was behind glass, the angle te avoid the reflections will be crussial

Thanks! I'll play with that on Friday !!

what equipment do you have?
What is the lighting in the church?
Thank you for your reply!

I have a Nikon D300 and an SB300 flash. No church. The service will be in a round glass building that is about 4 stories tall. I am very worried about having a nasty flash in every photo!

Thanks again!
RG

Get that flash (or better yet multiple flashes) OFF the camera! Put the flashes on light stands (pre-aimed at the people) and try not to shoot directly into the flash reflectors.

I'd rent about 5 or 6 studio flashes and stands, some softboxes, and radio remote triggers for them all. Set everything up before the ceremony (including the power levels), and then bang away!

I will do my best, but to be brutally honest, that is above my knowledge level. If we can get out of the glass box for the after pics I'll be much happier......the focus is the people anyway, not the backdrop for those shots...............

Sure! Its the Half Moone Cruise Terminal and Event Center (I think I have that right) - its in Norfolk, VA.

Thanks!

Yeah, looks like you are going to really want some off camera flash. Check it out, this photographer posted a shot with 2 flashes going off in the image so you can get a feel for what the results are.

Tidewater and Tulle | A Hampton Roads Virginia Wedding Inspiration Blog: Norfolk Nautical Inspired Wedding by Leigh Skaggs Photography

Beautiful venue can't imagine it being cheap. Maybe the cousin can kick you some $ for a pair of lights and triggers to rent or purchase. Even one yongnuo 560 off camera set to slave would set you back ~$70 assuming you have a stand and be infinitely helpful. The SB300 just isn't up for the task IMO.

With the SB300 you have 2 options, try to bounce or directly at them. Trying to bounce will be really tough with such high ceilings. You're going to eat those 2 batteries continually that flash takes and I cannot say confidently it will give the desired results. Shooting straight at them will be okay but I am not sure if you have the ISO range with the D300 to get the ambient light and sharp shot and a lit subject.

Post back with some shots after the wedding!

Sure! Its the Half Moone Cruise Terminal and Event Center (I think I have that right) - its in Norfolk, VA.

Thanks!

Yeah, looks like you are going to really want some off camera flash. Check it out, this photographer posted a shot with 2 flashes going off in the image so you can get a feel for what the results are.

Tidewater and Tulle | A Hampton Roads Virginia Wedding Inspiration Blog: Norfolk Nautical Inspired Wedding by Leigh Skaggs Photography

Beautiful venue can't imagine it being cheap. Maybe the cousin can kick you some $ for a pair of lights and triggers to rent or purchase. Even one yongnuo 560 off camera set to slave would set you back ~$70 assuming you have a stand and be infinitely helpful. The SB300 just isn't up for the task IMO.

With the SB300 you have 2 options, try to bounce or directly at them. Trying to bounce will be really tough with such high ceilings. You're going to eat those 2 batteries continually that flash takes and I cannot say confidently it will give the desired results. Shooting straight at them will be okay but I am not sure if you have the ISO range with the D300 to get the ambient light and sharp shot and a lit subject.

I will try -- my MO is to give the cards to the bride and groom so I may have nothing to share until they send it to me (they live in TX)

I usually just ask them to send me their favorites. I'm researching lighting rentals....

Thanks!!!!

Thanks!

I will try -- my MO is to give the cards to the bride and groom so I may have nothing to share until they send it to me (they live in TX)

I usually just ask them to send me their favorites. I'm researching lighting rentals....

Thanks!!!!

Hold up. You give the client cards full of unedited and un-culled images?! Oh my...

Last edited:

Thanks!

Thanks!!!!

Hold up. You give the client cards full of unedited and in-culled images?! Oh my...

I DO !!!! I know that gives almost all photographers the creeps (or worse!) Its because they aren't clients, they're family - which is why I'm in this mess to begin with ! I've shot about 15 weddings, that's why they asked.

I think this venue probably has lighting rental, which would be more expensive than if I did it myself - but since I'm alone, I'll need the help....I'm calling them now.

Thanks !!!!!

I will try -- my MO is to give the cards to the bride and groom ...

I wouldn't do that.

I know --- 99% of the population wouldn't --- I may opt to send it to them so it will be waiting for them when they get back from their honeymoon.........they probably wont look at it until then anyway !

I wouldn't do that.

I know --- 99% of the population wouldn't --- I may opt to send it to them so it will be waiting for them when they get back from their honeymoon.........they probably wont look at it until then anyway !
Or they would just lose the SD cards ....
and are you shooting JPEG then I assume ?
or do they know how to process raw files ?

Do what you want but please please back up first lol. Just in case.

And if you shoot raw they may not even know how to open them. But sounds like you've done this before so sure you have a system

I wouldn't do that.

Or they would just lose the SD cards ....
and are you shooting JPEG then I assume ?
or do they know how to process raw files ?
Yes - we've discussed it - they know what to do with it. If they are going directly to their honeymoon I'll keep them and send them to them when they get home.

Shoot at high iso and convert to B+W don't use flash if you are not used to it you could make a bigger mess of the shots, and don't worry it is their fault if the the photos are not good enough

Most reactions

New Topics

Back