need help with iMovie

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my first video with the DSLR, and managed after much finagling to get the clip into iMovie (my only editing software ATM).

There is some really extra junky stuff at the beginning that I would like to trim, but I can't get any help for iMovie help.

I also attempted to watch some you-tube videos, but they are assuming way too much for my level of incompetence.

I've got the playhead placed, but how to trim the front end is beyond me.

Old thread but no answers so a late comment.
I don't have iMovie so can't help but do you by any chance have Photoshop CC(2015)? It does a very good job with movies.

Old thread but no answers so a late comment.
I don't have iMovie so can't help but do you by any chance have Photoshop CC(2015)? It does a very good job with movies.
Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have PS.

I sent Apple a note, and I received a reply:

"My name is Olivia. I am with iTunes Customer Experience and I noticed you posted a recent review on the Mac App Store.

We would like to gather more information about the issue you described in your post for iMovie:

Review Title Not intuitive
Review Text I attempted to trim a portion of my clip, but apparently there is no way to do that. I set the playhead in the timeline, but then was not able to perform any function whatsoever on that clip. It is very difficult to highlight just the portion to trim. When I read the help pages about “trim”, I see no resemblance to what my display looks like. A simple trim seems like the absolute simplest editing function, but this software is anything but intuitive.

Would you like to participate by having someone from our engineering group contact you regarding this issue?"

And one other reply from somebody else, but to date I have not received any insight as to how to proceed.

I hate iMovie. I think I tried using it once, and then gave up--AND NEVER MADE A MOVIE AGAIN.

It's not intuitive whatsoever.

I hate iMovie. I think I tried using it once, and then gave up--AND NEVER MADE A MOVIE AGAIN.

That's me and iPhoto. I stopped using that soon after I got my Mac.

Apple claims their stuff is intuitive, but I think it is intuitive only to the one person who wrote the software.

That's me and iPhoto. I stopped using that soon after I got my Mac.

Apple claims their stuff is intuitive, but I think it is intuitive only to the one person who wrote the software.
I would say that some of their stuff is intuitive. The other stuff--what's not intuitive--is horrendous.

iPhoto is a joke. And, I can't figure out how to get it to stop opening whenever I insert (1) an SD/CF card, (2) any camera, or (3) my iPhone. It opens every. single. time. And takes a long time to load.

I have my right-click ready to 'force quit' the application whenever I try to upload photos.

iPhoto is a joke. And, I can't figure out how to get it to stop opening whenever I insert (1) an SD/CF card, (2) any camera, or (3) my iPhone.
Hey! I might be able to help you!

I began using Aperture3, and there is somewhere an option to choose what will be the default photo editor. So if you are using some 3rd-party editor, look for the option. When I plug in my camera, it opens Aperture. I haven't opened iPhoto for at least a couple of years.

iPhoto is a joke. And, I can't figure out how to get it to stop opening whenever I insert (1) an SD/CF card, (2) any camera, or (3) my iPhone.
Hey! I might be able to help you!

I began using Aperture3, and there is somewhere an option to choose what will be the default photo editor. So if you are using some 3rd-party editor, look for the option. When I plug in my camera, it opens Aperture. I haven't opened iPhoto for at least a couple of years.
WHAAAT! I'll have to look for that tonight!

ETA: And I'll post my results...

Most reactions

Back