What's new

Need help with lighting equipment

Tashyd

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
72
Reaction score
3
Location
British Columbia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi
I am looking at buying my first studio lighting set up, I just don't know a whole lot about whats out there. I have read up some on them but I just kind of get lost in whats out there. Im mainly going to be using it for portrait photography. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions regarding a first time lighting purchase?

Thank you for your time and any info

Tashyd
 
Buy one or two lights to start. I would go with Speedotron Black Line or Alien Bees.
 
I think it just needs to be said that the people who recommend Flashpoint lights tend to have little experience with high quality strobes. I don't mean that as a jab at anyone who owns Flashpoints.
 
I think it just needs to be said that the people who recommend Flashpoint lights tend to have little experience with high quality strobes. I don't mean that as a jab at anyone who owns Flashpoints.

I recommend the Flashpoint monolights because of their price, guide number, length of time in production, AC-DC capability in the M-series, the vendor (Adorama), and the results I have seen beginners getting out of them. In terms of price point, the Flashpoint 320 is a 150 watt-second monolight for $99 with the flash and reflector only, or $199 with the flash,reflector AND the 15-ounce dedicated DC battery pack. My experience with studio flash is mainly with Photogenic, and Speedotron Black Line, Brown Line, and Norman. With today's d-slr's so often having a baseline of 200 ASA, the 150 watt-seconds out of the 320 M Flashpoints makes them a pretty good power level to have, especially if you have a set of four or five individual lights.
 
Thanks for the information everyone! Im going to look into all the suggestions and see which might work best for me.
 
I think it just needs to be said that the people who recommend Flashpoint lights tend to have little experience with high quality strobes. I don't mean that as a jab at anyone who owns Flashpoints.

I recommend the Flashpoint monolights because of their price, guide number, length of time in production, AC-DC capability in the M-series, the vendor (Adorama), and the results I have seen beginners getting out of them. In terms of price point, the Flashpoint 320 is a 150 watt-second monolight for $99 with the flash and reflector only, or $199 with the flash,reflector AND the 15-ounce dedicated DC battery pack. My experience with studio flash is mainly with Photogenic, and Speedotron Black Line, Brown Line, and Norman. With today's d-slr's so often having a baseline of 200 ASA, the 150 watt-seconds out of the 320 M Flashpoints makes them a pretty good power level to have, especially if you have a set of four or five individual lights.

I have to say I take an opposite view. Buy one nice light and some good modifiers and go from there. I would take one solid studio strobe over several cheapo ones any day of the week. Also, given the lack of modifier interchangeability between brands, I think there is extra pressure to pick a system you trust and feel comfortable expanding into. I think the Flashpoint 320 might be fine as a hair light or something.
 
I would rather have five cheapo studio flashes over one,single "solid" one, any day of the week...but then that's me...

Not sure why so many newbies are afraid of pack and head systems, but they are...which makes Speedotron's very few monolights much less attractive than their bread and butter, which has always been pack and head systems.

here is a very good thread for those who might be waffling between Alien Bees and Flashpoint monolights: waffling between Alien Bees and Flashpoints [Page 1]: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review

For those wondering, the Flashpoint monolioghts use the Photogenic Photomaster reflector mounting system, while Alien Bees use the Balcar mounting system.
 
I did not know that. Another reason, in my opinion, not to buy them. I can't stand the Photogenic modifier system. It's very finicky and kind of flimsy.

Also, the Flashpoints clearly benefit from Adorama's reputation. I don't think they're any different from the no-name Chinese stuff on eBay.
 
One of the problem with getting entry level strobes is the large investment into lighting, my experience started with alien bees, I did like them for a while, they did what they should, but as my skill grew they just did not offer some of the features I needed. The result, I sold them and got a full set of rimelite strobes.

My advice would be to purchase something like the alien bees as a first light if you want to test them out, because of the large beginner market attracted to them if you choose to upgrade later it is not much problem to resell them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom