Giselle Delgadillo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello members!! I'm new on the forum also new on photography.

I have a Nikon D3400 my lenses are the 50mm and the 55-300mm

I love the nature pictures. animals and insects.

Could someone recommend me a lens on which I can take photos from far away?

Also i try to find some filters for my camera. The think is i see many prices. Its any difference between low price or its the same if I buy a expensive filter?

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry I can't help with your Nikon question, but if you don't get help here in your post, try the Nikon subforum here~~Nikon Cameras and I bet you get some answers!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Also i try to find some filters for my camera. The think is i see many prices. Its any difference between low price or its the same if I buy a expensive filter?

For pictures of insects, you will want a macro lens. I have a Nikon 60mm f/2.8 micro, which is an excellent lens. You can find them used for around $200, but make sure you check compatibility before buying. If I were going to buy a new macro lens, I would look for something around 100mm. For wildlife, especially birding, you want the longest lens you can afford. The minimum focal length I would recommend is 400mm and there are several zooms that go out to 400mm. The one I have is a Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3, which can be used for landscapes at the 18mm end and wildlife at the 400mm range. New, they are around $650. There are other 400mm zooms, but again be careful about compatibility with your camera. The lenses most intermediate wildlife / birders use are the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 either the contemporary or sport versions, or the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 generation 1 or generation 2. The pros will go with something like a 600mm f4 prime, but they are about $12,000 new.

You will need to be more specific about what you want to use a filter for. The only filter I make sure I take with me is a circular polarizer (cpl), but only use it when shooting around water, wet foliage, or through glass. I will take a UV filter at higher altitudes. Other than that I use Lee neutral density filters to make moving water and clouds soften and flow and Lee neutral density graduated filters for landscapes in high dynamic range situations like bright skies.

Strodav gives some good advice. If I were to recommend a lens for long distance wildlife it will be either the Nikon 200 to 500 mm,or the Tamron 150 to 600 mm zoom lens

There really is not much need for filters these days except for circular polarizing filter, and maybe a graduated neutral density filter set, and possibly something like the now very popular 10 stop screw-in neutral density filter

WHAT are you shooting?
From how FAR away?

The farther you shoot from, the more atmospheric "stuff" you have between you and your subject.
"Stuff" is: dust, smoke, air pollution, salt mist, pollen, etc.
These will all degrade your subject.
Think of how a distant mountain looks purplish and hazy, vs a close hillside.

You will also have heat distortion.
This is the waviness that you see when looking at something over a distance.

So what I am saying is, that you should try to get as close to the subject as you prudently can, to minimize these issues.

Now as for a lens, with your 55-300 set to 300mm how small is the subject?
Trick.
  1. Take a picture of an animal at 300mm (or view it in the camera)
  2. Then on your computer (or in the camera's viewfinder) visually Divide the image in half vertical and horizontal, so you have four quarters.
  3. Compare the size of your subject to one of the quarters.
    1. Each of the quarters is similar to the view of a 600mm lens.
  4. Is the subject still small in the quarter (so you need a lens even longer than 600mm),
    or is it larger than the quarter (so you need a shorter than 600mm lens)?
600mm is about the limit that most people can physically handle. Not to mention COST goes UP with the really long lenses, $$$$$.
And a 600 is beyond what many people can handle if they have to carry it for any length of time/distance.

Example, I shoot sports, sometimes for 5-6 hours. The heavier the gear, the more tired and worn out I get. I drew the line at 300mm as my longest lens, because that is about all the weight that I want to carry for 6 hours.
A 600mm lens would require a tripod, which is even more weight to carry. And it turns me from being a mobile shooter to a fixed location shooter.​

For close up of insects, I recommend a LONG macro lens or a long lens capable of close focus.
The reason is, to have a greater working distance between you and the subject.
You will likely scare away an insect when you have to put the lens 3 inches from it, vs. 24 inches away.
And I don't think you want to be close to a bee, that could decide to sting you.

Both of these scenarios require a STABLE camera.
This generally requires a STEADY tripod, and a remote release.
And you have to carry this tripod when you go into the field to shoot, so it can't be too heavy.

Strodav gives some good advice. If I were to recommend a lens for long distance wildlife it will be either the Nikon 200 to 500 mm,or the Tamron 150 to 600 mm zoom lens

There really is not much need for filters these days except for circular polarizing filter, and maybe a graduated neutral density filter set, and possibly something like the now very popular 10 stop screw-in neutral density filter
I agree with you, man. That would be the good decision.

Whilst I don’t speak Nikon . Filters wise, well others have suggested what I would have , maybe a variable nd filter.cost wise I have found out the hard way you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap screw on round 82 mm nd filter. The glass rattled around in the holder, which in its self was so thin and weak it bent when I griped it. The class had visible distortions, ripples and pit marks . Also think about, if using wide angle lens It will effect how some filters ,cpl, work. Hope this helps

Most reactions

Back