Need new camera advice!

MelodyLouise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, so glad I found this forum.
I make jewelry and need a camera to take good close ups. My digital Olympus does not work well for this, no matter how I program it. I use the macro and the pics are still blurry. I'm ready to buy a new digital SLR, so can anyone please tell me which they recommend?? There are sooo many out there. Thanks so much for any help.:D

Hi, and welcome!

Practically any entry-level DSLR will work, provided that it is equipped with a macro lens. Ordinarily, most beginner kits include lenses that will not focus close enough to be macro. So you will have to shop for the macro lens in addition to the camera. Nikon guys will suggest a Nikon, Canon guys will suggest a Canon.

I suggest that you first decide what macro lens you need and then get the camera to fit.

Hi MelodyLouise and welcome to the forum! First, before you give up on your Olympus - a couple of questions to see how best to help you.

First, what model is your Oly? Even if it has a macro function, it has a minimum focus distance. Perhaps you can move to the minimum focus distance and zoom in a little?

Second question - is the camera on a tripod? If not, there may be blurring if your shutter speed isn't fast enough.

Third question - if you do need a new camera, where do you show your pictures and what is your budget? That will determine which camera or cameras I'd recommend.

All the best,

Bill

If you just want to do Macro photography with your camera you can get even a good P&S, some of them will go as close as 1cm from the subject.
If you want to do Macro and more and actually want to learn how to use a DSLR not in Auto mode but in other modes you will need to learn the basic of photography so you can use the camera on Shutter priority, Aperture priority or Manual mode.

If you are strapped for cash go for the Nikon D3200, its a wonderful camera very good for a newbie with a small pocket, while the basic DSLR in Nikon stable it is a very powerful tool (About 550$)
If you can afford more then go for the D7100, a serious enthusiastic camera, will let you grown into it, I have this camera and its AWESOME!!! (About 1200$)
As for Macro, there are lots of Macro lenses out there for a big price variation. From Canon the main 2 lenses for offer is the Nikon 60mm 2.8G, I have this lens and love it, its a very good Macro lens and you can use it also for Portrait photography and just a walk around lens.
The more serious Macro users will get the Nikon 105mm which gives you more space between you and your subject, the 105mm is much more expensive then the 60mm lens.

I'd listen to the above and first try to determine what you can, or can't, do with your Olympus. This forum will definitely help.

Even though camera shopping is always fun :)

I make jewelry and need a camera to take good close ups. My digital Olympus does not work well for this, no matter how I program it. I use the macro and the pics are still blurry. I'm ready to buy a new digital SLR, so can anyone please tell me which they recommend?? There are sooo many out there. Thanks so much for any help.:D

Just based on your description, the issue may not be the camera itself. Although equipment do matter, but without knowing what the REAL issue was, even if you spend US$8000 on camera, you may still have the blurry issue.

As mentioned above, were you using a tripod? Can you describe how you light the subject?

Just based on your description, the issue may not be the camera itself. Although equipment do matter, but without knowing what the REAL issue was, even if you spend US$8000 on camera, you may still have the blurry issue.

As mentioned above, were you using a tripod? Can you describe how you light the subject?

Oh boy, I am definitely a newbie!

First of all, I am using an Olympus sp-815uz, 14 megapixel. You are so right, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to the technicalities. Secondly, I did not use a tripod, I have one and will try using it.
The camera has a Macro, and a super Macro option. I've tried using both. I'm shooting in daylight. That's all I really can tell you because I'm not sure about any other settings unless you ask me and I can look at the camera.

Two important issues are:

At macro setting your camera will focus to 12 inches http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/sp/man_sp810uz_e.pdf
At super macro to two inches.

When you are this close, the shutter speed will be slow to allow enough light in and so you must certainly use a tripod and a self-timer - instructions on that are in your manual.

Your camera is capable, you need to read the manual. (page 28)

Most reactions

Back