Need opinions

2fastlx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do a lot of landscape and have been thinking about circular polarizers. Any thoughts or advice? I'm up in the air right now between getting a couple good filters or a lensbaby just for fun.

Thoughts???

CPLs can cause problems in blue skies in images taken with wide or ultra-wide lenses. But it's still a solid addition to any bag. Just make sure you 1. buy a quality, name-brand filter, not some ElCheapo off ebay, and 2. buy one for the largest lens filter size you PLAN on buying.

Use a CPL for landscape only when the Sun is low in the sky (less than 30° above the horizon) and at 90° to the lens axis.

Be sure and get a good one. A thin type CPL may be needed for use on a wide angle lens so the CPL doesn't vignette the shot. As suggested, if buy an oversize CPL you can use step rings for smaller filter thread diameters. Just be sure the step ring doesn't cause any vignette.

Last edited:
The problem with CPL and ultra-wides: Taken looking north at 2:45PM or so.

Without CPL:

NoFilter.jpg

With CPL:

WithFilter.jpg

I decided to just get both. I didn't get to fancy on the filter though. I picked up a tiffen for now to experiment with and ordered a lensbaby composer.

Most reactions

Back