Need Point and Shoot Recommendation for Convenience and Security issues

Valkyria_Cneajna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to photography and never touched a DSLR until taking an intense journalism course over the past year. I will be looking into getting an SLR but for now just looking for a nice (at least better than my current one) compact point and shoot for times when I do not want to lug around a heavy camera bag with pricey equipment and more specifically for events that forbid use of DSLRs. I attend concerts frequently, often DSLRs are not allowed; I've managed to take decent pictures with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ11 since 2008.

Currently I'm contemplating between the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 (more compact, better aperature and ISO) and The Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ150 (much more zoom). Of course I'm open to other brands and models (just prefer controls I am used to); one of my biggest concerns is large point and shoot cameras causing security hassles at events forbidding SLRs. The Lumix DMC FZ150 is somewhat large and I'm worried that due to the camera's size security may think it is professional and confiscate it (has anyone had this problem with a large P&S)

Any advice appreciated

Thank you so much

Valkyria_Cneajna said:
I'm relatively new to photography and never touched a DSLR until taking an intense journalism course over the past year. I will be looking into getting an SLR but for now just looking for a nice (at least better than my current one) compact point and shoot for times when I do not want to lug around a heavy camera bag with pricey equipment and more specifically for events that forbid use of DSLRs. I attend concerts frequently, often DSLRs are not allowed; I've managed to take decent pictures with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ11 since 2008.

Currently I'm contemplating between the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 (more compact, better aperature and ISO) and The Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ150 (much more zoom). Of course I'm open to other brands and models (just prefer controls I am used to); one of my biggest concerns is large point and shoot cameras causing security hassles at events forbidding SLRs. The Lumix DMC FZ150 is somewhat large and I'm worried that due to the camera's size security may think it is professional and confiscate it (has anyone had this problem with a large P&S)

Any advice appreciated

Thank you so much

I was never much for point-n-shoots till they came out with neat manual controls that essentially put our large DSL's into a nifty small format. I really like them now. In fact, I now carry one everywhere I go; even a grocery store! (who knows what I might see)
Anyway, have you looked at the Nikon P7000? Not expensive and small format. Shoots raw as well and can be as automatic as u need or as manual. Uses the Nikon speedlights and gives you a real sturdy camera you can use for years and years. Plus if you eventually go up to a semi- pro DSLR, you will be familiar with the Nikon controls and it will be easier for you to move up. Of course Canon can offer you the same "Family" of products too. Decide what major camera manufacturer you believe you will want to shoot and find their smaller format camera. But give yourself room to grow. Choose one that has all the "manual" opportunities along with the "auto" settings. Remember, its what you do with the camera that enables you to turn your vision into a photograph. Get a camera that lets you control it and make those ideas a reality. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back