Need recommendation to learn basics please

Mahkeymike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, im new to the forums.

I used to have a EOS10D years back, which ive basicly used as a point and shoot using the auto settings.Recently i purchased a Olympus E3, and im finding out its a totally new ball game.

Ive come to the conclusion that i now have to learn the basics of digital photography, like exposure,aperature,metering..ect..ect

Problem is, after a trip to the local borders,and picking up a few books on photography like digital photography for dummies...ect..ect, im not really grasping it.

I think a good dvd might do the trick, but i cant seem to find any general dslr photography training dvd's.All i can find is training dvd's for canon,and nikon cameras.

I did however, get one from elitevideo, which did help alot on learning how to use my E3, but unfortunitly its more geared towards people with a good understanding of the basics.

I really hope some of you guru's on the forum can suggest a good learning dvd (if one exists)

Thanks in advance,

mike

Try joining a local camera/photo club. They often have seminars for beginners, and you'll usually find lots of skilled people willing to sit down with you and go over things.

The book you see mostly recommended here is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Also look here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123160

Thanks for the link.Apparently alot of people think its a good book to learn about exposure.Im alittle reluctant to buy another book, but maybe trying books on specific area's of photography is a better approach, then going for "all in one" books.

I dunno, Still hopeing theres a dvd out there somewhere.

Try joining a local camera/photo club. They often have seminars for beginners, and you'll usually find lots of skilled people willing to sit down with you and go over things.

How would i find local camera/photo clubs? You mean kinda like car clubs?

Havent thought of that.Doubt they would want to teach noobs like myself.

Only other option besides a dvd, is college courses, but there expensive, and only run certain times a year.(wish i would have took photography in high school)

if you feel you'll learn more from a classroom setting, check into community colleges. I found one near me, and the cost would have been ~$100. Not too bad really. Didn't have time to try it out now, but I plan on doing something like that at some point...

Understanding Exposure is a good book too- I read that, and the author's other titles. Very well done... not a "text" but a good easy read that will introduce the basics

if you feel you'll learn more from a classroom setting, check into community colleges. I found one near me, and the cost would have been ~$100. Not too bad really. Didn't have time to try it out now, but I plan on doing something like that at some point...

Understanding Exposure is a good book too- I read that, and the author's other titles. Very well done... not a "text" but a good easy read that will introduce the basics

Wow $100 bucks is cheap compared to the somewhat local colleges i called, they want around $300 and require a dslr, and a 35mm film slr (no idea why)and the next course doesnt start for another month or so.

Go out and take pictures of things. Except do it in manual mode.

You'll learn most of the basics right there.

i dont know if i would consider "understanding exposure" an all-in-one approach...i got it over the weekend, and it's really good at putting the holy trinity of photography into terms that are easily understood. it's more of a basic platform to jump off of than it is a total photography book.

it's $17...give it a shot....easy read....great info....well written.:D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back