Need round Graduated ND filter tips

Kani

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a bit confused with the cokin filter-sizes, according to the official site there are a few different sizes, but when I look at adorama where I'm planning to buy the filters it doesn't say the size.

I'm planning to get this holder:
BP40067 Cokin Filter Holder P with 67mm Adpater Ring & 28 Page Instruction Book for Cokin P system

And wondering if this filter would fit:
A121M Cokin Series A - Grey Gradual Neutral Density G2 Medium Filter ND4X

I'm also wondering if the filter holder can still be used if I have round filters on the lens already? A round (non-grad) ND filter for example.

Original post, can be ignored...
I know a lot of you are probably against round grad filters. But it's just too much hassle for me with the square ones (and I've made up my mind so please keep the thread focused).

So, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some round grad filters, preferably ones that follow the rules of 3rd instead of changing at the middle.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd rather apply the effect in Photoshop/Lightroom, than use a round grad filter. Obviously, that's not an ideal situation, but I really don't like the idea of the filter deciding my composition.

Thanks for the reply. I don't agree that PP can in any way make up for grad filters when it comes to ND effects. But that's off topic for now.

I have actually changed my mind and decided to get a Cokin holder and a few filter instead of a round one. Main reason I changed my mind is that Cokin seems a lot easier to put on/off than the Lee holder which I looked at before, it also seems a bit slimmer. And ALOT cheaper.

Which leads me to a few new questions:
I'm a bit confused with the cokin filter-sizes, according to the official site there are a few different sizes, but when I look at adorama where I'm planning to buy the filters it doesn't say the size.

I'm planning to get this holder:
BP40067 Cokin Filter Holder P with 67mm Adpater Ring & 28 Page Instruction Book for Cokin P system

And wondering if this filter would fit:
A121M Cokin Series A - Grey Gradual Neutral Density G2 Medium Filter ND4X

I'm also wondering if the filter holder can still be used if I have round filters on the lens already? A round (non-grad) ND filter for example.

I'll edit the main post to reflect my new decision :)

Check out Lee ND filters. The Cokin grey graduated are said to not be true ND's and will color cast.

Also, check out this site and call them for customer service. VERY helpful with education and recommendations. Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com Sales Tax Free camera filters for digital cameras HD filters, F Pro 1st choice, B+W filter, Tiffen T1 IR, IRND, Marumi DHG Camera Filters, HD MPTV camera filters and Canon CLI 226 Inks The website isn't too slick, but all they sell are filters and their prices are better than most dealers.

Also, check this video and others on YouTube This guy holds his ND grad filter rather than using a frame. That's what I'm going to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna disagree with the color cast issue. I have the P series and three ND filters, two true ones and a graduated and I have yet to notice the color cast that everyone talks about. I would much rather spend less on filters if I can help it.

I'm gonna disagree with the color cast issue. I have the P series and three ND filters, two true ones and a graduated and I have yet to notice the color cast that everyone talks about. I would much rather spend less on filters if I can help it.

Got any ND shots to share? Even if there is color cast I imagine that could be useful in some particular way.

Most reactions

Back