Need some advice on a new camera.

justinclange79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an upcoming trip to Peru where I will be hiking, biking and, kayaking. I would love to get some beautiful pictures while i'm there but my old point n' shoot is dead and I'm looking to take a step up in the camera world. I was looking at some of the 4/3 cameras since they save a bit of size but still offer versatility in lenses. I was looking specifically at the Lumix DMC-G5. Although since I will be doing outdoors adventures I am wondering if it will hold up since I read a couple reviews that said it felt cheap. Any advice or suggestions on this or a similar camera that will live up to a little adventure and come in at a under $1000 for a price tag? Thanks all for your time.

Justin

Hi Justin - for a micro 4/3 camera rugged enough for a hiking and kayaking adventure, I recommend the $989 dust and splash proof Olympus OM-D E-M5 (body only). You will need splash proof lenses to go along with it, though, which will take you well over your $1000 budget.

The $498 (with kit lens) Panasonic G5 is a great camera, but you'd have to spend $1300 body only for a GH3 to get a splash proof Panasonic. I wouldn't want to get the G5 wet.

The $1300 Fuji X100S and the $999 (body only) XE1 are great street cameras, but they are not waterproof either.

I know you said you were considering micro 4/3 due to the smaller size of the cameras - but the completely weather-sealed (not just splash proof) Pentax K-30 is less expensive than the OM-D at $945 with the 18-135 lens. And it is not that much bigger than the Olympus - or the Panasonic.

The K-30 is the most rugged camera you can get for less than $1000.

Here is what it can do: Flickr: The Pentax K-30 Pool

Hope this is helpful and have a great trip! Please post pics when you get back :)

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back