Need Some Advice Please

L8models

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a Nikon D40x. This is the first SLR Digital camera I've used, since using a SLR 35mm film camera back in college. My main concern is the color and Detail. How could I have got more detail and color out of these photos? Maybe using fill flash would have lightened up the shadows? With a quality slr camera, what is the main setting to control color and detail for close up shots? The third photo is an example of the results I am looking. In my opinion, I needed more light on my objects. Thanks guys

updatedberryct0.jpg

updatedpoledq6.jpg

zooor6.jpg

you could use a gold reflector to add a more soft look to the vegitation pictures

Most digital photography DOES require post procession work with whichever software there is for this - many of us use Photoshop, but to use that is not a must.

While you certainly can set some parametres of what you want your photos to come out of the camera yourself (there must be a graduated choice of contrast settings, saturation, brightness, sharpness and all), you may as well decide you want more control over all these matters, leave the camera on "default settings", and work on your photos individually afterwards to bring out the contrasts, brightness, shadows, sharpness etc. in the way that you like.

Some basic post processesion software must certainly have arrived along with the camera?

A smaller aperture (f8 or so) will give a much sharper image but at the expense of shutter speed/ISO speed. I wouldn't like to say that money produces better shots but it is definately worth investing in a fast prime lens for your best work e.g 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8. Not too expensive but definately better than a kit zoom lens.

I would also recommend sticking to the "old" film SLR rules and get as much right in the camera to begin with. As LaFoto said with digital there is usually some post processing work required but you still have to get the composition, DoF and shutter speed right first.

As a last point might I suggest you try to get your subjects from an angle not normally viewed from. e.g lower/closer to the ground or maybe higher from a chair or set of steps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back