Need some business pointers please!

You are VERY good. At least I think so. You'll have no problem doing well in this path.
Now, I have the same problem with web design clients - I habitually undercharge.
That creates poor expectations and the client will think that you are lousy because you're cheap.

Also, people you know (friends and coworkers) are always the worst clients. I don't mean that offensively, but it's unfortunately true. And don't give them a deal/discount.

Lastly, don't feel like you are nickel-and-diming them if you charge them extra for extras. Nobody works for free and the client will understand. If they don't, perhaps it's time to fire the client?

You are VERY good. At least I think so. You'll have no problem doing well in this path.
Now, I have the same problem with web design clients - I habitually undercharge.
That creates poor expectations and the client will think that you are lousy because you're cheap.

Also, people you know (friends and coworkers) are always the worst clients. I don't mean that offensively, but it's unfortunately true. And don't give them a deal/discount.

Lastly, don't feel like you are nickel-and-diming them if you charge them extra for extras. Nobody works for free and the client will understand. If they don't, perhaps it's time to fire the client?

I always charge relatives and friends! I charge them the same amount as everyone else, but usually throw in some extra photos or something. I've only had a problem with one relative not paying - and she finally paid.

flag those that I am happy with, and create a client gallery. I e-mail them with a link and tell them to pick however many files their session fee entitles them too.

John, You use LR4 for this, but where is the gallery located? Is it kept in Adobe cc or your website? Trying to learn more about this and the LR portion.

flag those that I am happy with, and create a client gallery. I e-mail them with a link and tell them to pick however many files their session fee entitles them too.

John, You use LR4 for this, but where is the gallery located? Is it kept in Adobe cc or your website? Trying to learn more about this and the LR portion.
I'm actually using 5 now, but that module was essentially unchanged. It will allow you to create the gallery wherever you like; I save it to my computer and then upload it using a separate FTP cient to my website (just because that's the way I do it, not because there's any good reason, you can use LRs built-in FTP to transfer it). Creative Cloud doesn't enter in to the equation anywhere.

I'm not sure why they're getting a choice of edits, I would think it would be better to provide the best of each pose. I think it takes being able to provide good quality photos on a consistent basis to be able to charge money for your work.

To me it looks like you're engaging your subjects well and getting some nice compositions; it looks like the quality varies (which maybe is why you're getting people wanting more edits). One looks like it's not real sharp, in the one with the fence the color looks off, another looks like it might have been underexposed - you might need to make sure you're getting a proper exposure every time, that you're nailing your focus, etc. etc. (unless what I'm seeing is due to editing). Maybe you need to continue to get more practice and skill development to help you in doing this as a business.

The one with the fence has a filter applied to make it look off-color, so it's supposed to look like that.

I think the quality varies because some of these have been coverted down in size so I can keep them on my computer and not my hard drive full of RAW files, for easy sharing like this, and some are still RAW. Also, I don't think Photobucket uploads full size.

I only charge by the edits and then they can order prints. For example...
10 edits are $XXX

20 edits are $XXX
30 edits are $XXX
The client gets an hour session included in the edits package they choose.

Interesting concept.

What constitutes an edit?
In LR, at least to me, adjusting just 1 slider in one panel would be an edit.
I get the impression that when you say 'an edit' you mean a completely edited and finished photo?

How do your clients know at booking how many edits (or photos) they will want?
On other words, it seems what you're actually selling is a photo packages.
If you mean 10 fully edited and finished photos are $XXX, that make more sense.

From looking at the photos you have posted, IMO your use of light needs work.
Both the light quality and the light direction are making for less than quality photographs.
In many of the photos the people have dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes) that is less than flattering to them - the family, the girl wearing the hat, the 2nd shot of the couple.
Fill lighting, from reflectors or other supplemental lighting like a couple 3 or more flash units with light modifiers would fill the dark eye sockets and add 'pop' or a lighting ratio separation of the people from what's behind them.

Strobist: Lighting 101
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

Are the photos you posted examples of what you provide as fully edited and finished photographs ready for delivery to a client?

The way you explained it (as a package) is the way I sell them! And edit is a completely finished and fully edited photo!

I do struggle with lighting as a lot of the places I take photos are outdoors without electricity. Do you think reflectors would improve the lighting, even in low light conditions outdoors? Do you have an recommendations of which to purchase and how to position or hold them?

...Do you think reflectors would improve the lighting, even in low light conditions outdoors? Do you have an recommendations of which to purchase and how to position or hold them?
Reflectors re-direct light; they do NOT add or increase light. If you're doing a lot of location shooting, then you need a couple of battery-powered inverters for your lights. I like Innovatronix products, but there are lots of other options as well. To be blunt, asking about how to position reflectors is NOT something I would expect from someone who is charging for their services.

Well like I said, I'm mainly self taught and have learned along the way mostly from other photographers. IVE never seen any of them use reflectors. I dont charge a lot, at all, and think my prices match up to what I offer as far as equipment and quality goes. I know if I was in Houston or a larger town, I would make it but in my sml rural town I do well.

I will look into some inverters and light products.

I just dont see how that would work when I'm changing locations and back grounds every 5-10 minutes :/

Me personally not a fan of how your pricing. I don't think I would want to get into a they pay for how many edits they want. what happens when you get someone who says edit them all? I edit up what I feel are the best photos of the session and that is what they choose from. This way when I'm done editing I'm done. I'm not going back because they wanted 5 more or 7 more. If you have 5 shoots on a Sunday like you mentioned in another post and then everyone chooses overnight delivery of 30+ images each that could be hard to manage. I have only one client ask me about a pose and I just tell them that I went thru the bunch and picked the best of the best. If they push you can tell them that it didn't come out very flattering. Assert yourself as the expert. Work with them during the shoot as your posing them. explain to them what will make them look better so they know you are getting them to look there best. If they are pushing you around as to what to do it may mean they don't have confidence in your ability so you have to present yourself in a way that shows you are.

Lights and light modifiers are something you need to learn and should learn so you can give your clients the best image. It's not much work lugging a single flash on a stand with umbrella. And once you get used to it and see how it will light up someone's eyes you may find yourself using it more and more. If you have a big day lined up you could look into an assistant, I have had a couple people come to me wanting to assist me for free just to learn and gain experience from. You have the internet there are hundreds of videos online that can give you the basics and beyond of using strobes, or really about anything photography related. You should never stop learning. Keith (KmH) already mentioned the strobist, a good starting point for using flash. I know a lot of people claim the whole "natural light" photographers but I feel if your in business as a professional photographer you should know how to work in the best conditions as well as the worst and for me a flash is a necessity to be able to work in all conditions.

I don't think the clients need to know anything about the word "editing" while presenting them with pricing and their final images. I think you need to show, sell, and advertise your best work. YOU control the gallery presented, and not the other way around. If they ask for a black and white...no problem, but that is a different story. You are going to go back and forth with your clients a hundred times, and waste tons of time in the process with the business model you have set up. Simple=Sales.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back