Need some camera body advice

TWright33

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my first DSLR a few months ago. I have been learning photography ever since, and I fell that I have excelled at this point.

I am currently using a d3200. This is obviously an entry level camera, and it still has a lot of life left in it. It's still basically brand new.
I have sold the kit lenses it came with and purchased a 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8

So, now I have a friend that has a camera he is possibly trying to sell me.

He has a D90, I was with him a couple years ago when he bought it new. It has probably been shot less than my camera I have no because he never really used it.

He is only wanting $300 for the camera.

I am assuming my 3200 has a little better quality picture, but at the same time I'm not sure if it's enough of a difference for me to be able to tell.

I am really wanting the D90 due to the built in focus motor, screen by the shutter button, and basic ease of accessibility to different functions of the camera.

Now my question is, what do you guys think? Should I buy the D90 and keep the 3200 as a backup? I also thought about possibly selling the 3200 and combining the money to purchase a d7100?

I have no other photography friends so I really need some input.

I would buy the d90 and keep them both for a month. Decide then if you want 2 cameras or which you prefer. You should not lose out if you do this

I would buy the d90 and keep them both for a month. Decide then if you want 2 cameras or which you prefer. You should not lose out if you do this
That's solid advice. I didn't think about that.

The D90 is a GREAT camera and it does have more buttons and gizmos then your D3200. However, your D3200 has a sensor that is ~5 years newer.

$300 is about the going rate for a used D90.

If you don't do a lot of low light shooting and have $300 to spend you cant go wrong with a D90. When push comes to shove however, your D3200 will give you better pictures.

If you can scrounge up a few extra Benjamins (~$500-$600) a D7000 would be better.

I would say to stay with the D3200 and the money you would save buy another lens like a 18-50 tamron non VC or a nice zoom like a nikon 70-300vr

I wouldn't get the D90, it was a good camera at the time it was new, its still a good camera but it was replaced by the D7000 which was replaced by the D7100 and soon the D7200 is going to come out, you are looking at 3 old generation camera (soon to be 4), I would look for a modern camera and not old, I think it will be a step down for you even though the D3200 is entry level.
Save up your money till you have enough to get the D7000 or even D7100.
The D7000 now goes for very little used.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I like the d7000, and a know a couple people with them. They have mentioned something about back focusing problems.

Then I heard and read other people talk about these problems.

So I guess you can say I wrote off the d7000 in my head. Not saying I can't be convinced, but I just feel like I would be buying something I know has a problem. Although I know money wise the d7000 would be easier on the pocket book.

Keep the replies coming, I need all the advice I can get

I purchased a D90 when it was released. It was an upgrade from a D50. I loved that camera. Upgraded to a D300s. I purchased a D7000 shortly after it was released just to play with something new and it's the only DSLR I've used from Nikon that I absolutely hated. And I've used just about every Nikon body. It did nothing well. You can see in the D7100 that everything from the D7000 was scrapped and Nikon started from scratch on the D7100. I'd take a D90 for $300 over a D7000 for free any day.

Just my opinion from my own experience. I know there are people out there that like their D7000.

Everyone says the D90 is old. Well it's basically a D300s with fewer manual controls. Plenty of people still use D90 and D300/s. As I said I've used just about every camera available and I have yet to find a real reason to lay out the cash to upgrade my D300s. It does everything I need and does it very well. 12mp is way more than I would ever need anyway.

I like the d7000, and a know a couple people with them. They have mentioned something about back focusing problems.

So I guess you can say I wrote off the d7000 in my head. Not saying I can't be convinced, but I just feel like I would be buying something I know has a problem. Although I know money wise the d7000 would be easier on the pocket book.

I am afraid I am one of those people who also had back focusing problems so while I did recommend the D7000 I must admit I got burned.
Me personally I would go with a D5200 over the D7000, yes I would loose many of the benefits of the D7000 but I would get an awesome camera that has a better sensor and looking at the big picture would be my choice.
But the fact I got a lemon and got burned doesn't mean you will, most people are happy with their D7000 so I its up to you but either way I wouldnt like to go with the D90, dont shoot my for saying this but I think its old, and had its time, I believe we should always look to the front and not to the back, with technology things move so fast that even the new becomes old very fast so the old turns into ancient.

If you want the advanced body only and doesnt feel comfortable going for the D7000 then your only option is D90 or D7100, I would wait till I could save enough for the D7100 and then get it.

Show me ANYTHING that has ever been manufactured, and I do mean ANYTHING, and I can find some people who are unhappy with it. That's what warranties are for.

As to the D90, great camera. Same for the D7000, same for the D7100. Personally I would upgrade to the D90 from a D3xxx without even thinking about it.

Show me ANYTHING that has ever been manufactured, and I do mean ANYTHING, and I can find some people who are unhappy with it. That's what warranties are for.

As to the D90, great camera. Same for the D7000, same for the D7100. Personally I would upgrade to the D90 from a D3xxx without even thinking about it.

I see from your signature you have a d7100 and d7000.

Have you had focusing problems with the d7000?

Would you suggest getting the d7000 for the money? Or would it be worth while to wait and get the d7100 when money allows?

Would you suggest getting the d7000 for the money? Or would it be worth while to wait and get the d7100 when money allows?

If I had neither I'd get the D7100 since it is a better body than the D7000 in many respects. Since I already had a D7000 when I bought my D7100, if I had it to do over I'm not sure I would. There really isn't enough difference between the two to justify it. In your situation I'd opt for the D7100 since it is somewhat better.

The D7000 is an excellent body. I've had zero problems with mine and highly recommend them. I gave my D90 to my sister and use both the D7000 and D7100 pretty much equally now.

Nikon D7000 user reviews:
Amazon = 4 1/2 stars (818 reviews)
B&H Camera = 5 stars (1047 reviews)
Adorama = 4 1/2 stars (156 reviews)

I'm going out on a limb here... but im going to say that the majority of the people that buy a D7000 don't have an issue with it. Maybe you should stop listing to the small few that have issues and start seeing the people that don't.

Disclaimer: I owned a D7000 from the day it came out until the D7100 was released (over 2 years). It was a great camera.

If you can afford a D7100... get a D7100.
If you cant afford a D7100 but can afford a D7000... get a D7000.
If you cant afford a D7000 but want to get the D90... get that D90.

The one area where the D90 is better than the D3200 is the quality and clarity of the viewfinder image. To "me", the brightness, clarity, and overall eye relief of a camera's viewfinder is perhaps the most-importantr thing about the camera as a tool, as a picture-maker, at least under normal,everyday, good-lighting conditions. If you wear eyeglasses while shooting photos, the view through the camera's finder can be a big deal. Again...the viewfinder's quality is one of the things that Leica users mentioned for literally DECADES; Leicas had better, brighter viewfinder images than other rangefinder cameras. Now, granted, a d-slr has a bigger viewfinder image than a rangefinder camera, but again, the ability to clearly "SEE" what the he(( you're photographing is kind of a big deal to many people, and has been for generations. The D3200 has a rather small finder image, and uses a "pentamirror" system; the D90 uses a more-costly, and flat-out better pentaprism system. If you bought the D90 and used both it and the D3200 for a month, you'd probably get an idea of how important the viewfinder quality is to you. YES, the D3200 has a newer, better sensor in it. But the D90 is in many ways, a better "machine".

My advice is to see if the better "machine" makes a difference for you, or if it's not much of a factor for you. If you have great vision, and fine, young eyes, the D3200's viewfinder image might be of little worry to you, especially with good single focal length prime lenses of f/1.8 speed.

It looks like I'm going to go with the d7100. The money is right at the moment so I'm taking advantage of it. I posted here in the for sale boards first to see if I could find a good deal on a used one. If not, in a couple days I will be buying a new one. Thanks for the opinions guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back