Need some camera body advice

It looks like I'm going to go with the d7100. The money is right at the moment so I'm taking advantage of it. I posted here in the for sale boards first to see if I could find a good deal on a used one. If not, in a couple days I will be buying a new one. Thanks for the opinions guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fantastic choice, you will fall in love with the D7100, I know I did :)

It looks like I'm going to go with the d7100. The money is right at the moment so I'm taking advantage of it. I posted here in the for sale boards first to see if I could find a good deal on a used one. If not, in a couple days I will be buying a new one. Thanks for the opinions guys

I think you made the right choice!
I've been struggling with upgrading myself; my D50 still serves me well however, it has its limits compared to even a D90 (which I have been seriously considering) but its still a great camera. It does almost everything I want it to do, its only lacking megapixels and ISO range plus a few 'little' features I'd like to have. I passed on the D7000 for exactly the reasons stated in other posts and for that reason, I've been hesitant to jump to a 7100. Of course the D90 is like a third the cost...there is that.

Did some research recently on getting a 7100. You can get a factory refurb body only from Cameta (it comes w/ a full 1 year warranty). The price difference vs. new is about $230 so roughly 20% savings. Oh yeah and no tax.

Did some research recently on getting a 7100. You can get a factory refurb body only from Cameta (it comes w/ a full 1 year warranty). The price difference vs. new is about $230 so roughly 20% savings. Oh yeah and no tax.

Wow thanks for the heads up on that. That's a good price. I may go that route.

Well just ordered a refurb through B&H.

I got the "standard" shipping.

Does anyone know what method this is? UPS Ground was $15 more.

I am assuming standard is USPS?

Camera shipped today UPS ground. Will be here Friday, for anyone that is curious about there standard shipping

Well I'm certainly happy with the d7100 so far

$Spyderco-small.jpg

I just got the d7100. And don't get me wrong, so far it seems nice. But ill tell you for all the hoopla and praise it seems to get, this camera is WAY overrated. its just a camera. probably takes equal pics to a 5200 or near equal to a 3300 or 3200.

WAYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! over rated.

I think I would just keep what you have, and buy the d90 too. use them both. Don't waste your money.

I just got the d7100. And don't get me wrong, so far it seems nice. But ill tell you for all the hoopla and praise it seems to get, this camera is WAY overrated. its just a camera. probably takes equal pics to a 5200 or near equal to a 3300 or 3200.

I think I would just keep what you have, and buy the d90 too. use them both. Don't waste your money.

It's only overrated if you don't understand the extra features. Image quality alone is only a small portion of what makes a dslr.
Just because you don't know how to take advantage of the added features, doesn't make the camera a waste. Personally, I would NEVER buy a full size dslr (not mirrorless) that did not have dual command wheels and a built in focus motor.

Other features aside, those features alone make the d7100 worth the money to me.

And other features the D7100 has beyond the dual command wheels and a built in focus motor a D5200 doesn't have - like the better 51 focus points (15 cross type) Advanced Multi-CAM 3500DX AF module, and CLS Commander mode.

Exposure metering works with the D7100 when Nikon's AI-P and Ai lenses are mounted.
Exposure metering doesn't work when those lens types are mounted on a D5200.

Last edited:
I just got my first DSLR a few months ago. I have been learning photography ever since, and I fell that I have excelled at this point.

I am currently using a d3200. This is obviously an entry level camera, and it still has a lot of life left in it. It's still basically brand new.
I have sold the kit lenses it came with and purchased a 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8

So, now I have a friend that has a camera he is possibly trying to sell me.

He has a D90, I was with him a couple years ago when he bought it new. It has probably been shot less than my camera I have no because he never really used it.

He is only wanting $300 for the camera.

I am assuming my 3200 has a little better quality picture, but at the same time I'm not sure if it's enough of a difference for me to be able to tell.

I am really wanting the D90 due to the built in focus motor, screen by the shutter button, and basic ease of accessibility to different functions of the camera.

Now my question is, what do you guys think? Should I buy the D90 and keep the 3200 as a backup? I also thought about possibly selling the 3200 and combining the money to purchase a d7100?

I have no other photography friends so I really need some input.

Get the D7100 and forget that D90.........

The one area where the D90 is better than the D3200 is the quality and clarity of the viewfinder image. To "me", the brightness, clarity, and overall eye relief of a camera's viewfinder is perhaps the most-importantr thing about the camera as a tool, as a picture-maker, at least under normal,everyday, good-lighting conditions. If you wear eyeglasses while shooting photos, the view through the camera's finder can be a big deal. Again...the viewfinder's quality is one of the things that Leica users mentioned for literally DECADES; Leicas had better, brighter viewfinder images than other rangefinder cameras. Now, granted, a d-slr has a bigger viewfinder image than a rangefinder camera, but again, the ability to clearly "SEE" what the he(( you're photographing is kind of a big deal to many people, and has been for generations. The D3200 has a rather small finder image, and uses a "pentamirror" system; the D90 uses a more-costly, and flat-out better pentaprism system. If you bought the D90 and used both it and the D3200 for a month, you'd probably get an idea of how important the viewfinder quality is to you. YES, the D3200 has a newer, better sensor in it. But the D90 is in many ways, a better "machine".

My advice is to see if the better "machine" makes a difference for you, or if it's not much of a factor for you. If you have great vision, and fine, young eyes, the D3200's viewfinder image might be of little worry to you, especially with good single focal length prime lenses of f/1.8 speed.

I could not live with a pentamirror camera they are to dark and small for me...

Total rubbish,why did you get the D7100 if they are so awful ??

Total rubbish,why did you get the D7100 if they are so awful ??

He bought the camera due to some type of psychological compensation

He then posted about how he doesn't understand photography and doesn't know how to.

Then he posted asking people what else he should buy to go with his d7100.

Now he is posting on my thread telling me not to get the camera because it is overrated.

Now, to everyone else that is posting, I bought the d7100.

I even posted a picture.

I love the camera. The d7100 is leaps and bounds better than the 3200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back