Need some help with fine tuning focus.

saycheese76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was shot at 18mm, f8 and 125 or 250(can't remember) so DOF and shake are not the issue. I used the center focus point on my camera on his eye, locked the focus, re-composed and shot it. When I look in close at the eyes and face, the focus isnt as sharp as I'd like. Am I being too picky? Is it just too big of a resolution to be as sharp as I'd like zoomed way in? I know it isn't the gear, as I am using a d300 with the Nikon 18-200. I have taken other shots that are tack sharp. What menu setting is incorrectly set in my brain?:lol: Thanks for looking
bikelk.jpg

photostream

Last edited:
I'm only getting the second image. Try to fix the links and we will see what you are talking about.

I'm only getting the second image. Try to fix the links and we will see what you are talking about.
There should only be one link. I was having issues with getting the link to work from flickr when I previewed the post so I used photobucket instead.

Shameless bump.:p

The shutter speed was 1/125 :p. It might not as sharp as you would want it to be because one, not knowing the lens but looking at the range this lens is not one of the sharper one. Due to so many glass elements inside the picture is a little distorted causing it to be a tad blurry. Also what flash did you use? Popup or external? (don't remember if the D300 has a pop-up flash, but i think it does)

not knowing the lens but looking at the range this lens is not one of the sharper one. Due to so many glass elements inside the picture is a little distorted causing it to be a tad blurry. Also what flash did you use? Popup or external? (don't remember if the D300 has a pop-up flash, but i think it does)
From what I understand, the lens is pretty solid. I believe I remember reading that the lens performs best between f8 and f16. I used an SB800 off camera.

Most reactions

Back