Need to upgrade!

Brooklyn_Diesel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had an old sony alpha and since it got stollen I'm looking to upgrade
I will be use it for mostly reef aquarium shots of coral and fish but not only that I will also be using it take action shots and night shots.
I know this gets asked around a lot here and I'm sorry for that.
But I rather ask the people that won't be talking my money on what I would spend it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didnt give us any money amount so its going to be hard to advise you on what to get.

For low light photography you would find usful to go full frame and so I would recommend to get Nikon D610, excellent all around camera but its close to 2000$
If you cant afford it then Nikon D7100 would be the next camera I would recommend, while not as good in low light as a full frame camera it has best low light performence among crop sensor cameras about 1000$.
If you cant afford that then Nikon D5200 is an excellent camera with about same low light performance and image quality as the D7100 about 600$

All these cameras will do sport shots too even though they are not purly designed for sport photography.
These prices are for camera body only, you will need to get lenses too.
Lots of lenses for different needs, you got prime lenses for portrait and low light, you got zoom lens for general use, macro lens, wide lenses for landscaping and telezoom for nature photography.
There are different quality of lenses and the better they are the better the pictures will come out and the more expensive these lenses will be.

Last edited:
Sorry about that I was looking for max 1000.
Btw why Nikon and not cannon

B'cause all the cool kids shoot with Nikons!

So for 1000$ I would say start with the Nikon D5200 with the Nikon 18-105mm VR kit lens and Nikon 50mm 1.8G for low light photography, this should be close to 1000$

Why Nikon and not Canon

First for disclosure I am a Nikon boy!

Canon full frame cameras are excellent but their cheaper crop sensor cameras have an old sensor which is outdated, its not bad but Nikon's sensors are new and has better dynamic range and better low light performance.
Canon does have the new Canon 70D which is more expensive then Nikon D7100 which I think not only is cheaper but slightly better.

If you set your mind to buy Canon only and will not consider Nikon then I would not recommend any Canon crop sensor camera except the 70D.
Again they are ok but their old sensor show its age.

I think overall Nikon D5200 is the best buy for your amount

Well if by aquarium you mean your own where you can provide your own lighting then low light performance won't be as much of an issue, however if you mean a large commercial aquarium the lighting is generally pretty bad and as a result low light performance will become a huge issue. For non full frame cameras, those that use the APS-C sensors, Nikon generally has the best lowlight performance. Ok, so given your budget of roughly $1000, what sort of "action" shots are you wanting to take? Basically I'm trying to determine if your going to need a telephoto as well as a wide angle lens to get the kind of shots you want before I recommend a camera body so that we can get you the best option for your budget.

I just wanted to know if canons who's better cannon or Nikon. Cuz when I google that they just give me the runaround.

And as for action it's mostly car racing some at night some during the day

Aquarium is personal and for other people

Well if by aquarium you mean your own where you can provide your own lighting then low light performance won't be as much of an issue, however if you mean a large commercial aquarium the lighting is generally pretty bad and as a result low light performance will become a huge issue. For non full frame cameras, those that use the APS-C sensors, Nikon generally has the best lowlight performance. Ok, so given your budget of roughly $1000, what sort of "action" shots are you wanting to take? Basically I'm trying to determine if your going to need a telephoto as well as a wide angle lens to get the kind of shots you want before I recommend a camera body so that we can get you the best option for your budget.

From my experience if you go to an aquarium and put a telezoom on a crop sensor camera then you need a very fast lens to get any usable shots, even the 2.8 lenses might not be enough but the 70-300mm VR will not do the trick in low light, as you know its a great lens but not for low light.
If he will get a telezoom lens you are looking at big bucks here.

I just wanted to know if canons who's better cannon or Nikon. Cuz when I google that they just give me the runaround.

There isnt an answer what company is better, Canon or Nikon.
they both make good cameras and some cameras are better then others in different demands.
As I said for low light and image quality I think Nikon crop sensor cameras are better, for pure action photography Canon 70D has a slight advantage over Nikon D7100 as its buffer size is slightly bigger but unless you are planning to do only sports shot this really isnt a deal breaker as I find from my use of my Nikon D7100 its excellent for sports shooting.
Either way Canon 70D and Nikon D7100 are both out of your price range.
You can get today body only Nikon D7100 for 1000 but to that you will need to add for at least one kit lens and you are looking at about 1200$ together with such a lens.

Ok so as for a camera I'm sold for the 5200
Now would I get it new or used what do you guys think

Well I'd recommend the Nikon to you for the better low light performance and better color depth, which will be important for both the car racing at night and the aquarium shots. Canon does make some nice cameras but the low light performance on a Canon really isn't that great until you get into one of their full frame models, which would be way above your listed budget just for the camera body, not to mention the lenses.

Ok, so your going to need a halfway decent body and at least a couple of lenses, at least one good telephoto for the car racing. The car racing at night is going to be a real challenge, on your listed budget your not really going to be able to afford a telephoto lens with a wide enough aperture to really be able to do that kind of shooting without it being a challenge, at least not initially. So we've narrowed it down now to a couple of good options, only one last question for you, do you have your heart set on new equipment or do you mind purchasing used/refurbished?

Ok so as for a camera I'm sold for the 5200
Now would I get it new or used what do you guys think

Just like the question what is better Canon or Nikon its hard to answer if to buy new, used or refurbished.
You need to feel comfortable with this decision.
Personally I buy only new cameras and only used lenses.

Also do some homework yourself, read a bit about the Nikon D5200, there are also very good reviews on this camera on yutube.
Be sure you are happy with the choice and dont rush to buy it just because few guys told you on this forum to get it.
Its not that I want you to choose a different camera, as I said I think the D5200 in your price range is the best camera for the money but read, look around and listen to your heart before you are ready to buy.

Then remember you need to think of a lens, lens is a BIG deal, lens can mean the different between good picture and bad picture, its the cameras bottle neck.
Lots of varients as you see when you are considering to buy a camera.

To make it slightly easier I will recommend these Nikon lenses for you
As I recomended these 2 lenses already

For general use the Nikon 18-105mm VR used is around 150$-180$
For portrait and low light Nikon 50mm 1.8G around 150$ used
Telezoom if you want nature shots or car racing Nikon 70-300mm VR, this lens is excellent, very sharp and I use it all the time but its not for night photography around 300$-350$ used
You can google the prices of these lenses new but these are all very affordable lenses that will give you excellent results.

Well to be honest I have been thinking about the 5200 and I want to see what everyone else would recommend.

What would be some worries buying used and if something would be wrong would repair be a lot

Most reactions

Back