Needing point and shoot digital suggestions for under $200.00.

kingmed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been considering getting a small point and shoot digital camera for taking Christmas pictures and all around every day shooting with possibly a decent video with it. I have been looking at the Canon SX160IS, Canon 230HS and Nikon L610....the 230HS I believe is a little more but I have read some decent reviews on this camera. I would appreciate any good advise on a good camera, also with video is there a lot of noticeable difference in 720 and 1080 clarity and quality. Thanks.

How firm are you on your budget? Amazon has the Canon S100 for $250.

Where are you going to watch the videos? If on a computer, it won't be a huge difference between 720 and 1080 but it might if you're watching it on a 60" HD tv.

kingmed; yea, it depends on your budget, and how much you want to get into photography. Nearly any compact point & shoot will give you good pictures, so you don't need to worry too much if you get a well-known brand.

As for video, if you are going to do a lot of video and not much still, then why not look at a dedicated video camera? My Sony video does make stills, and my Nikon DSLR makes video, but I don't use either very much in the "secondary" mode.

I would recommending going with a good smart phone like the iPhone over a point and shoot camera anyway. These days they produce great images and amazing video.

The biggist advantage to a smart phone is that you always have it with you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just saw a Canon point & shoot with 4gb memory card and camera case for $69.99 at Sam's. My Aunt has this camera and she paid about $150 last year. Takes good pics and hd video. I use my P&S for video a lot. Good look a lot of good deals right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back