Negative space? C&C please

kschalo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My photo challenge for this week is negative space. I think this works but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve this photo or if it just sucks all around. Thanks.

IMG_4671e by jkschalo, on Flickr

I'm wondering if I should have shot it from a lower angle? Farther away?

I think this works, about 95%. My two (relatively minor) nits are: (1) You're not quite level/square with the backdround, and I would have liked to see the whole table-top. I think the concept is very good.

I might have tried including the entirety of the small table-top or stool. The shadow the tulips cast is interesting. As far as things that could improve it, a really perfect camera alignment, to get the siding verticals "perfect" would have been a great idea. This is a very rigid, formalized type of composition, but the slightly "off" verticals hurt it. But still,overall, it looks like a decent shot, and it's definitely "planned", not an accident. It's a good concept, it really is. I think the camera needed to have been a bit lower, and the back of the camera pulled upward at the top of the back a tiny,tiny bit, to be perfectly squared-up with the siding.

I would re-shoot this as soon as possible, so as to be able to get that cool shadow in more or less the same place.

(Addendum: as I was typing, John zipped off a quick reply which I didn't get to see before I began my reply, but as you can see...the pic is basically a good idea, but needs that perfect squared-up-ness to make it sing.)

I think this works, about 95%. My two (relatively minor) nits are: (1) You're not quite level/square with the backdround, and I would have liked to see the whole table-top. I think the concept is very good.

I might have tried including the entirety of the small table-top or stool. The shadow the tulips cast is interesting. As far as things that could improve it, a really perfect camera alignment, to get the siding verticals "perfect" would have been a great idea. This is a very rigid, formalized type of composition, but the slightly "off" verticals hurt it. But still,overall, it looks like a decent shot, and it's definitely "planned", not an accident. It's a good concept, it really is. I think the camera needed to have been a bit lower, and the back of the camera pulled upward at the top of the back a tiny,tiny bit, to be perfectly squared-up with the siding.

I would re-shoot this as soon as possible, so as to be able to get that cool shadow in more or less the same place.

(Addendum: as I was typing, John zipped off a quick reply which I didn't get to see before I began my reply, but as you can see...the pic is basically a good idea, but needs that perfect squared-up-ness to make it sing.)

I can change the crop to get the whole top of the stool, that's no problem. Straightening the lines of the door are proving harder. I think it's distortion from the 11-16 lens I used. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to get the shadows just right again. I'll try lowering the camera as well. So tilting it back will help square up the lines? Is it something I can fix in post?

I might have tried including the entirety of the small table-top or stool. The shadow the tulips cast is interesting. As far as things that could improve it, a really perfect camera alignment, to get the siding verticals "perfect" would have been a great idea. This is a very rigid, formalized type of composition, but the slightly "off" verticals hurt it.

^

...Is it something I can fix in post?
Possibly if you have Adobe Photoshop, the distortion/perspective correction tool may help, but the best thing you can do is get it right in camera. A shot like this I would do on a tripod, and ensure beforehand that my camera is square to the wall, and level in relation to the lines of nuts in the image.

I have a super old version of elements and it does have a distortion tool that I'm trying to figure out. I did use a tripod and and the lines looked good in the camera. I'll keep working at it.

So if I line up the lines on the door, the bolts are not level and if I line up the bolts, the lines on the door aren't square...Can I just blame it on the door??

Okay...better?

IMG_4671e by jkschalo, on Flickr

I feel like the right side is still a but distorted but it's the closest I could get.

Most reactions

Back