Neighborhood Goshawk

pendennis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have a pair of nesting goshawks in our neighborhood. They really do a good job on mice, etc.

This morning I had an errand to run, and as I opened the car door, I noticed this one on the arm of our power pole. I grabbed my D750 and the 200-500 f/5.6, turned on VR and took a number of shots of him on the arm. He then swooped down to our fence, so I edged over, and got within twelve feet of him. I ran off around 12 exposures, and liked this one best. The only editing was to crop the image. This one was @ 1/160 f/11 and ISO 400. Enjoy!

Are You Lookin' At Me - Low Rez.jpg

Nice shot, it's always good when your model is cooperative. ;)

Wow! Awesome shot Dennis. :icon_salut: I find sometimes, in wildlife photography, that it is the spontaneous spur-of-the-moment captures that turn out the most impressive.

Now that's a good close up! Did you crop out some of his talons or just zoom a little too much?

Now that's a good close up! Did you crop out some of his talons or just zoom a little too much?

I was only around 12 feet away, and the 200-500 was racked in to 200. I didn't want to move, and frighten the bird, so I insured that no heads were removed. I only had about a foot between the back of the house and me.

And a very nice creature he is.....................

I was driving down the road today out in the country when a large barn owl flew straight at my vehicle. I was going about 45 mph and did not have time to grab my camera. What a bummer!

I wonder what's with the rope around his leg. Anyone's guess I imagine.

I wonder what's with the rope around his leg. Anyone's guess I imagine.
My son studies raptors. According to him, you can own one, but it has to be banded by the wildlife people and you have to be able to prove that you have permission to own. I magnified the left leg in Adobe, and couldn't detect a band, only the tattered remains of the tether.

The tether probably explains why you could get so close. He is used to people.

He's a beaut. I'm glad he escaped the tether.

Most reactions

Back