First Butterfly!

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For so many years I've wanting to get a picture of a Monarch butterfly and as I was working outside on my driveway (fixing drainage) I saw one land and he was just chilling there, wasn't afraid of me. So I ran inside grabbed my camera but first put my tele on and ran back outside and laid on the ground to get this picture. He landed in a great spot too where the light was shining.

It may not be the perfect shot, it's not perfectly focused but it's damn close enough for me and I'm incredibly happy with what I got!

Nikon D610 + 70-200 f/4 VR
1/640th, f/5, ISO 160

EDIT: I was informed on Instagram that this is a Viceroy butterfly. They are similar in appearance to the Monarch but are distantly related. DAMN! But nonetheless, it's still my first butterfly picture.

Erwin-170809-13351.jpg

Last edited:
No matter if its perfect or not its always nice to get that first capture. And this is why I try to have my camera with me wherever I am. You never know what shows up.

No matter if its perfect or not its always nice to get that first capture. And this is why I try to have my camera with me wherever I am. You never know what shows up.

Well I didn't really have my camera with me. It was inside and on my desk with a 50mm on. So I had to change the lens and then run back out hoping it was still there. Haha. But yes...I also try to bring my camera with me because you never know.

Hmmm...now I am going to have to check what I thought was a Monarch to see if they are Viceroy pics!

Hmmm...now I am going to have to check what I thought was a Monarch to see if they are Viceroy pics!

Haha. Now I'm going to analyze other people's Monarch shots.

Thanks Instagram!

Nice shot. Viceroy butterflies are typically smaller than monarchs. Monarchs are poisonous, so mimicking them is their defense.

Have you not shot a butterfly on a phone? I thought everyone would of done that by now, regardless congrats on your first butterfly...It's a great crisp shot, colours are really vibrant. Focus seems fine to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back