Nervous/anxiety taking pictures is public

Kimmicoso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m not sure if this is the right forum, I apologize if it’s not. I feel anxiety going out and taking pictures in public. I wonder if I’m holding the camera correctly or being judged or 100 other things. I end up just snapping a picture and moving on instead of enjoying it. It hinders my creativity. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what were some things that have helped you, thanks.

Welcome aboard.

I'd venture to guess that most of the people wouldn't know the best way to hold a camera.

Last year I had someone pass me as I was photographing some plants near a pond. He went over a bridge, continuing to walk away. I walked over the bridge as well, to shoot some holly, but I saw he turned and started back towards me. I quickly shot the pond (there were some geese), then left the area. He continued to follow, so I ducked into a cul-de-sac and went up to a house with vehicles in the driveway. I stopped to "look at the camera" while keeping an eye towards the main road. He looked towards me, but kept walking.

Ever since then, I will look to see what others are doing, but this was a very rare instance.

That is another worry of mine. Glad you were able to get out of the situation safely.

It comes down to being aware of your surroundings.

As far as feeling like you are being judged, don't worry about that. Post some of your work, get some good advise from folks here, and go have fun.

When I first got my tripod and medium format film camera, I used to feel self conscious while I was setting up the equipment and taking the shot. I felt like you did, like everyone was watching me. But after doing it a few times, I got passed the self-consciousness. Now when I do it, it's kind of fun when someone comes over to ask what I'm doing especially since I shoot film. I get into interesting conversation about photography, film, equipment, etc. As long as you're not trespassing, relax and enjoy yourself. It will get easier, I promise.

I’m not sure if this is the right forum, I apologize if it’s not. I feel anxiety going out and taking pictures in public. I wonder if I’m holding the camera correctly or being judged or 100 other things. I end up just snapping a picture and moving on instead of enjoying it. It hinders my creativity. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what were some things that have helped you, thanks.
My favorite thought on being judged is from the Stoic philosopher Epictetus, who said "Did he say those terrible things about me? I guess he didn't know my other faults or he would have mentioned them too."

I have been in the same spot as you, but as Alan said, the anxiety disappears as you go along. Time and experience washes all those fears away. I always have my 170-500mm with me on a camera, so people almost always watch and are curious. I had a car load of people stop just last week and one of the ladies asked several questions. " Just being nosey " is how she put it lol.

That is another worry of mine.
You would be wise to have a friend along. Watching from a distance, but close enough to help if needed.

C'mon Dean, we know it's not the big lens, it's because your a chick magnet! :biglaugh:

I think most photographers have felt this way at some point. For me, when I first started out, I was very self conscious and had several instances where I rushed through my shots because there were other people around. Also I wouldn't take the time to look at my photos before moving on and wouldn't notice that I hadn't gotten the shot I wanted until I got home. I was so annoyed with myself for wasting my own time!

Some things that helped:

I joined a photo meet up in my area (meetup.com) and went out shooting with other people as a group. Having other photographers there really helped me to start getting used to using my camera in public and that confidence carried over into my solo outings. If there are no meet up groups in your area you could start one or check out your local camera store to see if they organize any photo walks.

I found it helpful to give myself an "assignment" so that I had a purpose. So, if I was going to the beach by myself with my camera for sunrise photos, I'd have a short shot list that I would make myself get no matter how self conscious I might be. I kept adding to the length of the list as time went on. Having a sense of purpose and a plan go a long way towards not being as nervous. Now I make a shot list only if I'm worried I might forget something that I planned to do.

I take my dog if I'm going to be shooting outdoors. I feel less conspicuous when I have him with me and he's pretty patient and doesn't get in my way plus he enjoys the outings.

If anyone stops and approaches me to ask questions, I know they are just being curious (or "nosy") but I've found that it's very rare for anyone to care or even notice what other people are doing.

I hope you try some of these ideas and that they help you to be more confident and less self conscious when you're out and about taking photos. If you're looking for photo assignments to help you get out there, check out our weekly challenges in the Photo Themes forum.

As for the safety issue that snowbear brought up - definitely a different concern with different solutions. If you're unfamiliar with an area, do a scouting trip during the day and if it looks or feels sketchy - just leave. Carrying expensive camera equipment around can make you a target. Be aware of your surroundings, don't leave anything expensive in your car ever, wear your bag - don't put it down... I make sure someone knows where I'm going and what time I'll be back. When I'm hiking alone I usually do a couple of crazy Ivan's as I go along just to make sure no one is following - I'm sure the chipmunks and birds think I'm insane...

Hi and welcome to the forum.
For me when I first pointed my old Canon 70D at a person I was nervous and when that person came up to me we talked about cameras. Now I have switched to Fuji, I take a lot of photos of singers and bands so when I try street photography now I find it easy to point and shoot. If someone objects I will say sorry and delete a photo but make sure it`s only the Jpeg. It does get easier, and like squarepeg says, try and join a Meetup as they are just great.

I wonder if I’m holding the camera correctly or being judged or 100 other things.

meh. Getting over these fears will lead to big things in all aspects of life. I still have coworkers that refuse to speak in meetings, or can't even defend themselves/ideas -- meanwhile they can'y get me to shut up.

I know sometimes it feels awkward in some situations, but I promise, no one is paying you any mind -- unless you're getting in their face.

I've been a photographer so long I don't remember starting out, other than I've always loved roaming around taking pictures and if you don't love it don't do it.

I remember the first time I went out on the ice pregame at a hockey game to take pictures of the ceremonial puck drop. I was nervous-excited and all I could think was don't let me fall on my a$# in front of how many thousand people! (The hockey gods watched over me, I didn't.)

I've had kids at games wave and ham it up, I've had drunks at games wave and show off. I've had players shoot pucks at me (and laugh), mascots wave at me (and I'd pretend to take their picture since they were right in front of me not realizing I'm using a telephoto lens). In general I get people looking up/around, looking at me, like they aren't quite sure what I'm photographing.

I think you just get used to it. I've more recently gotten some looks/double takes when I've fired off a Polaroid!

edit - As far as safety, for the type of job I had we did safety training since we went out on home visits in all kinds of neighborhoods (including the ones that are on the news with drug related shootings, etc.). Maybe try to find personal safety techniques to use, like scanning the area before you get out of the car. My personal suggestion is if it looks like a crack house it probably is, just keep going... Seriously, if it looks like anything's going on or something doesn't seem right, find someplace else or another time, it's not going to be worth it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back