Never done street photography before...

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just spent the day in Scarborough with the family. After visiting the SeaLife Centre to see the fish, and then the restaurrant to eat the fish, we took a walk up the hill to the town.
I haven't done street photography before, so had a go, but not blatently (I had the family with me)...the camera grip has a handy shutter button just where I rest my little pinkie - So I took some shots as we were walking. Here's a few of them...
This first one sufferes from shooting into the sun, but I still like it...

Born to shop by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Nothing Doing by Bend The Light, on Flickr
And I wasn't quite sure about the fashion sense here...

On the prowl by Bend The Light, on Flickr
Walking The Dog...

Walking The Dog by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Nice try at candid street photos. It is not an easy specialty!

Something seems off with your workflow to transform into B&W. On my screen the images have a very noticeable lack of contrast, unless of course that was your intent.

Yes, it is a faded processing I tried. Some of them are in quite strong sunlight, too, especially the first where I was shooting into the sun. Not the best, but hey, I was only playing...my first attempts at shooting from the hip, as it were.
Some people are happy with the processing, but I do think much of the street photography I see is more contrasty. I just do what I feel like, and see what happens. :)

Thanks. :)

I quite like the first, too, despite the fact that you had to shoot right into the sun and got this flare! I like how the bright sun reflects off the car tops! Lovely day you had! My husband told me he had a splendid view onto Scotland this morning when he came home from Chicago, he'd never had such a clear view before. So you must be having some marvollous weather! Here it's only grey... :(
I think last year in May I walked the very path "On the prowl" are walking ;) Didn't take "street photos" in Scarborough, though. Just the normal kind of pics any tourist would take...

I quite like the first, too, despite the fact that you had to shoot right into the sun and got this flare! I like how the bright sun reflects off the car tops! Lovely day you had! My husband told me he had a splendid view onto Scotland this morning when he came home from Chicago, he'd never had such a clear view before. So you must be having some marvollous weather! Here it's only grey... :(
I think last year in May I walked the very path "On the prowl" are walking ;) Didn't take "street photos" in Scarborough, though. Just the normal kind of pics any tourist would take...

Thanks, LAPhoto. The weather was quite nice in the afternoon, it was a litle cold on the coast at the SeaLife centre, but when we got to the town later in the afternoon the sky was clear and the sun quite low. Was a nice day, overall, though. :)

That street is a very busy one from the seafront in the south bay to the town...we always go up that way, unless we decide to teat ourselves to the lifts. :)

Cheers

I don't really like any of them. I think its the processing that makes me feel that way. 2 is the strongest for me but way to noisy for my taste. I am big fan of street photography. I like photographing people during candid moments. You cant be shy about that. You need to fram your shoot and take it. Otherwise you are just guessing and getting lucky.

But you have to start someplace.

I don't really like any of them. I think its the processing that makes me feel that way. 2 is the strongest for me but way to noisy for my taste. I am big fan of street photography. I like photographing people during candid moments. You cant be shy about that. You need to fram your shoot and take it. Otherwise you are just guessing and getting lucky.

But you have to start someplace.

It's your perogative to like or not like.:)

I took these "from the hip" for two reasons - one that although I am not particularly a shy person, I am not into the possiblilty of problems when I am walking up the street with my 2 year old and my 5 year old. When I go out on my own, I shall try to be more open.
Second reason, like taking a shot on film and waiting to develop it and print it, there was an expectation...something to look forward to. I didn't look at the shots at all until later that evening after driving 2 hours home and putting the kids to bed. It was interesting to try...and I shall also try the same thing again. Just like I gave a camera to my five year-old a short while back...just to see what she could come up with.

...now whether that tallies with yours, or anyone elses, view of street photography is another thing entirely. And does it matter?

I appreciate your critique. :)

I didnt take into account that you were with your kids. In that case I can understand shooting from the hip.

No problem...I wasn't being shirty. :)
But yeah, for a first time doing this sort of thing, I wasn't going to stick my neck out too far. :)

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back