Never forgotten (C&C please)

FranDaMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken at the US War cemetary in Margraten (the netherlands)

April%20626.jpg

April%20632.jpg

I really like them. I think the well balanced tones an composition on both frames really help convey the emotion of visiting a cemetery like that. For me, it puts me back to my visiting the national cemeteries in D.C. Such a sobering reminder to look at the rolling hills of dead soldiers who fought for their country. Spending time in a cemetery like that helps put things in perspective, and how many of our day to day tribulations are in fact trivial at best, when compared to the sacrifice made by those who are buried beneath your feet. I also noticed the flower bouquet on the second one. That, I think is another powerful reminder that each grave site has family and friends who still care, still miss and still love their lost soldiers.

Was the person listed on the stone in #1 of any importance to you? Or just one of many unknown soldiers?

No relation to me.
I was in the area and somehow felt the need to pay my respect to the people that liberated my country so many years ago. Being there puts you back on the ground with both feet and reminds you of the sacrifices people have made for my freedom.
A year later I returned with my children, to show them what people will do for a total stranger. A valuable lesson kids these days should learn.

I am married to a Canadian woman, who's grandfather was here too in WWII so we have also visited the Canadian War Cemetary in Holten.

Yeah, I think, sadly, these days we, as a society, have long forgotten what was sacrificed, and by who, to ensure we weren't under the rule of a dictator. Kudo's to you for identifying the lesson, and educating your children on what protecting humanity really means. Too many parent's think those lessons don't need to be taught, or will be taught by someone else. Not taking the time and effort to teach their own children.

Great subject matter thoughtfully composed. Great use of leading lines in both.

I really enjoy the first one awesome composition and great execution :thumbup:

Thank you all for the comments.

This was shot with my Sony DSC-H2 superzoom camera in 2008.
The lines are so easy to use for leading the eye through the image, it's hard to miss.

Leuk een nederlander te zien :), good pictures by the way. I've been there to and how every grave is just perfect aligned is beautiful to see.

Don't sell your equipment!! Your photos make a statement!! Truely touches my heart! And that's what photography is about!!

Most reactions

Back