Never Seen This Before

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen trees grow in some pretty odd ways but this is a new one for me.

strange-tree.jpg

Wonderful shot! The squirrel adds some perspective. I'm guessing that an arborist in some time past trained and spliced that one branch.

Wonderful shot! The squirrel adds some perspective. I'm guessing that an arborist in some time past trained and spliced that one branch.
It never occurred to me that someone might have actually done it. I kept trying to imagine how it would have happened naturally and just kept shaking my head. It's located in one of our city parks and we do have a Forestry division that cares for trees. Now the question, why?

It never occurred to me that someone might have actually done it. I kept trying to imagine how it would have happened naturally and just kept shaking my head. It's located in one of our city parks and we do have a Forestry division that cares for trees. Now the question, why?
If you look at the upper connect, it is too flat to be natural, and suggests that it was cut. From the size of the trunk, it looks like it was probably done a long time ago when the trunk or branch would have been much more supple. They most likely cut off one branch, and the end of another, and then carefully bent it around to meet the other branch, and then wrapped it in place to heal. Tree shaping is an artform in its own right.

If you look at the upper connect, it is too flat to be natural, and suggests that it was cut. From the size of the trunk, it looks like it was probably done a long time ago when the trunk or branch would have been much more supple. They most likely cut off one branch, and the end of another, and then carefully bent it around to meet the other branch, and then wrapped it in place to heal. Tree shaping is an artform in its own right.
Sounds plausible -- I'll buy it. Sure looks odd now though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back