~ New Baby ~

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm still trying to do baby photography. I've read up on exposure, changed my lighting, increased ISO, and paid closer attn to white balance after the suggestions from my previous posts here in the forum. So what do you think?

255661_206910469344302_194246530610696_470725_5157742_n.jpg

260542_208014752567207_194246530610696_476296_4484477_n.jpg

Last edited:
First picture is way too cluttered, IMO. In the second shot, it appears that the parent's arms are ghost arms, with the rest of their body blending completely into the background. It doesn't really appeal to me, but to each their own. :thumbup:

First picture is way too cluttered, IMO. In the second shot, it appears that the parent's arms are ghost arms, with the rest of their body blending completely into the background. It doesn't really appeal to me, but to each their own. :thumbup:

Yea i was thinking the exact same thing, neither shot does much for me. Cute kid though.

The first one does have a lot going on, typically I am a less is more type of girl, but mommy loved it, and i thought it was cute too. Mommy was a girly-girl and wanted pink and frilly, so this is what she got.

Ok, so the second, I love the look of the baby in the hands/arms of mommy or daddy to show how small the baby is. Most mommies and daddies don't want to be in the picture, so I incorporate them in this way. How could I do the picture better, without showing mommy and/or daddy? Just leave of the picture all together?

Here is another from the shoot with the little girl.

So in terms of exposure, white balance, lighting.. any c/c. I think its ok, but I want to improve if there is something else I could be doing.

260011_206728406029175_194246530610696_469488_1844019_n.jpg

Last edited:
In #3, it kind of looks like she has spit up in the corner of her mouth. Not sure if that's just some sort of glare or something. I love #4. =)

No, it was formula. Mom took her bottle away and she was M-A-D! haha

I like #4 too. My B&W photos generally turn out fine, its my colored photos that I seem to have issues with... Thank you. :)

#1-as mentioned above it does seem to have a lot going on. I prob would have stuck w/ one or the other. However I do understand the Mom wanting all the "frill" for her lil girl.
#2-I would try to coax the parent to do a full frame pic where they are in it. But have them look down at the baby so they dont feel the pic is about them...you can always crop later then you can choose what looks best.
#3-Just try to photoshop the formula out
#4-:)

I feel new born color pics are kind of hard. Their skin is usually blotchy or red etc. Oh, I would also do som pics w/out the diaper on as well. It will really give it that natural new born "just left the hospital" feeling... hopefully that makes sense. Obviously if its a boy you can always cross their legs or use a cute blanket to cover up parts you dont want shown.

The second image has far too much GREEN in the fleshtones. I'd see if you can use Selective Color in Photoshop, to offset that green tone. Perhaps go to the Yellows, and add a bit of magenta, about 15 units, and subtract a little Cyan,maybe Minus 8-12 points, and then go to the Reds and add +7 units of magenta, to counteract the green undertones.

Green huh? I knew there was an issue with the flesh tones, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I did adjust the white balance prior to reading your post and it did come out looking much better. I'll try using selective color in PS though because I've never played with that yet. I've only had PSE9 for 2 weeks, and while my other program was similar - its like learning a whole other language.
Thanks for the comments. :)

Oh, and naked baby pics are great! I just havn't done it yet with any baby other than my own daughter with a point&shoot 6 months ago. I havn't really had a laid back newborn yet either. All my "newborns" have been over 2 weeks old, and the one I had that was only a few days old, did NOT like being naked - at all!
I will keep trying though. :)

Yeah the newborns take time & patience thats for sure. Any time i book a shoot or im w/ the photographer i assist, we usually make sure we have several hours for crying, eating, burping, changing...etc. i have a 2 mnth old now so i know how it goes. What i normally do is ask the mom to remove the diaper then hold them for a bit skin to skin & that really calms them down before we get the naked shots. Then i have them place the baby & before they get too upset i have her pick the baby up to soothe a lil more then skin to skin again & so on. Also if it can be arranged, right after they eat is a great time! Full bellys usually equals sleep! :)

Just curious how you got the blacked out background, PP or is there a particular background you use?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back