New body; Canon 50-D or Canon 5-D Mark II

Fallacy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, new to the forums here.

I'm looking at upgrading my current body, a Canon Rebel XSi, to either the Canon 50-D or Canon 5-D Mark II. I'm really not sure which is the better option in the long run.

My rebel has served me well, but it's time to upgrade I think.

Here is the Canon 5-D mark II :
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

And here is the Canon 50-D :
Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera

Would anyone be able to give me their opinions on which they believe is the better choice? Money isn't an issue, if I go with the more expensive one it simply means I have to save up a bit longer ;).

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Do you know the basic differences between the two models? And do you know what you actually need? For example, the 5DII has better weather-sealing than the 50D. It also can shoot HD video at 30 fps. And it has a full-frame sensor. Plus, the sensor has better noise properties.

There are just so many things to take into account here -- asking which is a "better option" is kinda like asking if you want a hamburger or filet mignon ... without more information about what you actually want to do or like to do, it's not possible to offer pointed advice.

Um, 5D MII. How is this even a question if you have the money for the better?

Well, the reason why I didn't just go out and say that is because the original poster really may not need it. What's the point in having a Ferrari if you only drive it to the grocery store once a week? If by the time they would actually get to the point in their photography where they could get the things out of the 5DII that they can't out of the 50D there's a 5DIII, then in my opinion they've wasted money.

Check your lens compatibility for the full frame sensor on the 5D. You may get some slight vignetting (slight, lol) if you have the lenses designed for the 1.6x crop.

Also, if you do mostly landscape or sports or wildlife, you may totally dig the 1.6 crop. But, if you're into closeups and portraiture, then a full-frame sensor may be better.

Well, the 6.3 fps is worth considering.

What's the point in having a Ferrari if you only drive it to the grocery store once a week?

DUHHH because wouldn't it just be so much cooler to say you have a Ferrari just to go get the groceries?:lol:

Well, the reason why I didn't just go out and say that is because the original poster really may not need it. What's the point in having a Ferrari if you only drive it to the grocery store once a week? If by the time they would actually get to the point in their photography where they could get the things out of the 5DII that they can't out of the 50D there's a 5DIII, then in my opinion they've wasted money.

I agree 100% with you on your point. For me, I will do the same thing of just spending the money for what I need. Do I want a 5DMKII? You bet ya! Do I really need one ... not anytime soon.

However, there are people do stuff not based on what they need. And that is why so many SUVs in the market. (or Hummers that just running on paved road). So if money is not an issue, I will say go for it. (I wish I can do the same thing hahahaha :lol:)

Now I need to explain to my wife about the Burberry bag and $20 bag from Target is the same thing...

Check your lens compatibility for the full frame sensor on the 5D. You may get some slight vignetting (slight, lol) if you have the lenses designed for the 1.6x crop.

Also, if you do mostly landscape or sports or wildlife, you may totally dig the 1.6 crop. But, if you're into closeups and portraiture, then a full-frame sensor may be better.
If you have lenses (EF-S) designed for the 1.6x and you put it on a 5D and fire the shutter, you will destroy the mirror in your camera and potentially damage the lens. EF-S lenses are not compatible with full-frame cameras, period.

If the OP doesn't know why he would need a 5DMk2, he should probably get the 50D. They are two totally different cameras with their strengths and weaknesses.

If you shoot sports or fast moving objects, get the 50D. It has a faster and more accurate AF system than the 5DMk2 and it has a faster frames per second in continuous mode than the 5DMk2. If you like to maximize your longer lenses for things like birding, get the 50D. The 1.6x sensor is a benefit for this type of shooting.

If you shoot a lot in low light (ISO 6400 and beyond) then the 5DMk2 is superior. If you shoot portraits or landscapes, the 5DMk2 is a little better suited.

In general, for a photographer that doesn't understand the differences between a 50D and 5D, the 50D is probably a more versatile solution unless you're a wedding photographer. :) If I could only have one camera body, it wouldn't be a 5DMk2. I use mine in studio only and I take a more versatile camera with me when I go walking around. The 50D can do everything pretty well where as there are certain things the 5DMk2 doesn't do so well (sports/action).

If you have lenses (EF-S) designed for the 1.6x and you put it on a 5D and fire the shutter, you will destroy the mirror in your camera and potentially damage the lens. EF-S lenses are not compatible with full-frame cameras, period.

Just wondering (I do not know since I do not have any full frame body), will the EF-S lens even able to mount on the 5D?

Just wondering (I do not know since I do not have any full frame body), will the EF-S lens even able to mount on the 5D?

Nope, just tried (not too hard, lol).

Yes, the EF mount is the same on both the 1.6 and the full frame. I know a guy who accidentally mounted an EF-S to his 5D and damaged the mirror.

You can tell the two lenses apart because the EF lens will have a red dot and the EF-S will have a white dot (alignment dots).

I've read that some folks have had success modifying EF-S's to full frame bodies by removing a plastic cap that sticks out further than on a EF lens. I'm not sure of the process or what lenses it can be done to, I'm sure a Google search will yeild results if you're interested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back