New body or new Lens?

Mgview

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Cant decide, now i have Nikon d7000, with 18-105mm starting lenses, should i buy FX Nikon D610 body only with basic lenses, or just upgrade my camera with better lenses, and later buy fx body? Im looking forward to buy Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Wide Angle Zoom Lens. I have already Nikon 50mm 1.8G. Thanks for any advice.

Why buy anything at all? What are you trying to solve?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cant help myself, but this basic lenses 18-105mm cant offer any good results for landscape photography. Barely sharp even on 18mm and f8, with good light conditions.

Tough call. I've got the 18-55mm and 70-300mm, so I've been happy with landscapes up to this point. You could get better glass for the 7000 cheaper than changing body and glass, and you didn't mention needing anything that the 7000 won't give you today. I know if it wasn't for money there would be a few bodies I'd like to have, but for now I'm focusing on glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own the most basic Nikon dslr and buying quality glass has made all the difference in picture quality for me, for me there is not even a debate about it.

Lens I'd say. Though I find that lens good. Is it possible that your techniques need improvement. Are you using a tripod, low iso? Are your focussing techniques sound. If they are you need s new lens, if not you need practice

Normally I'd say get good lens, but then the next question comes in. FX or just DX? If you get a DX to go with your D7000, you may find it a little not useful if you do migrate to FX body down the road.
If you get a FX lens now, you may as well just get a FX body as well. So I think the better option is to get the D610 first and enjoy it with your 50mm for now. Then save up for more FX lens down the road.

BTW, there are a lot of good AF-D lens for "cheap" as well.

Cant decide, now i have Nikon d7000, with 18-105mm starting lenses, should i buy FX Nikon D610 body only with basic lenses, or just upgrade my camera with better lenses, and later buy fx body? Im looking forward to buy Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Wide Angle Zoom Lens. I have already Nikon 50mm 1.8G. Thanks for any advice.

Is your 50mm 1.8G extremely sharp? It's one of the sharper lenses out there. If there's still sharpness issues with that lens, then your D7000 likely has some focusing issues.

Your 18-105mm should be nearly as sharp as your 50mm 1.8G at the same apertures (the 50mm 1.8G will win out of course). Are you certain you're shooting with a fast enough shutter speed? Again, this could be a problem which relates to a frontfocus or backfocus issue. Take a look at the comparison between the two lenses: Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR DX Nikkor Lens Image Quality

The 18-105mm should be really sharp, so I recommend you find a shop or someone who can take a look at your D7000 and 18-105mm and give you an explanation after letting them analyse the situation. You should post up a full photo with a 100% crop example for us to take a look at possibly to get an idea of the sharpest 18mm shot you can get.

If you're enjoying wide shots and you want to go wider, and you don't like your camera, then just sell it. Sell the D7000, sell the 18-105mm. Possibly get warranty servicing first if that's applicable and makes sense. It sounds like you've got the money, so if you get a new camera, a D610 alongside some nice glass will show the difference (assuming you're not making any major mistakes currently that are contributing to the softness you see in your photos). Heck, you could spend more if you love landscape and you want to print big, and get a D800. I think that all depends on your budget and what makes sense to you though. Remember that something newer and greater comes out every year or two.

When I bought my D90, at the time I thought I was buying something that will see me through my future needs. Then I bought the D300s, same sort of thinking. Two years later, I reckoned I need more megapixels so I bought me the D800e. Now I have settled down to getting the satisfaction of "owning an FX" I am hoping to settle down on my buying spree. Or have I? Same question, different answers. Same banana, just different variety. Body or lens? Up to you...how deep is your pocket?

Lens I'd say. Though I find that lens good. Is it possible that your techniques need improvement. Are you using a tripod, low iso? Are your focussing techniques sound. If they are you need s new lens, if not you need practice

Yes, im using tripod for most sunsets, trying to go as low iso i can, mostly 100-200. Using remote controller or timer. If there is no tripod around, then shutter speed are above 500. Maybe i should do faster?

Is your 50mm 1.8G extremely sharp? It's one of the sharper lenses out there. If there's still sharpness issues with that lens, then your D7000 likely has some focusing issues.

Your 18-105mm should be nearly as sharp as your 50mm 1.8G at the same apertures (the 50mm 1.8G will win out of course). Are you certain you're shooting with a fast enough shutter speed? Again, this could be a problem which relates to a frontfocus or backfocus issue. Take a look at the comparison between the two lenses: Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR DX Nikkor Lens Image Quality

The 18-105mm should be really sharp, so I recommend you find a shop or someone who can take a look at your D7000 and 18-105mm and give you an explanation after letting them analyse the situation. You should post up a full photo with a 100% crop example for us to take a look at possibly to get an idea of the sharpest 18mm shot you can get.

If you're enjoying wide shots and you want to go wider, and you don't like your camera, then just sell it. Sell the D7000, sell the 18-105mm. Possibly get warranty servicing first if that's applicable and makes sense. It sounds like you've got the money, so if you get a new camera, a D610 alongside some nice glass will show the difference (assuming you're not making any major mistakes currently that are contributing to the softness you see in your photos). Heck, you could spend more if you love landscape and you want to print big, and get a D800. I think that all depends on your budget and what makes sense to you though. Remember that something newer and greater comes out every year or two.

I will post some example later today, or you can just go and check photos on my website. Marian Gociek | 500px
When im using 50mm, everything is good, only if i dont have good focus then the picutre is not sharp, but lenses are the best. Im just worry that im loosing good pictures while im shooting with 10-105mm, comparing to other peoples works.

Yes, im using tripod for most sunsets, trying to go as low iso i can, mostly 100-200. Using remote controller or timer. If there is no tripod around, then shutter speed are above 500. Maybe i should do faster?
Your speed is fast enough. Is your vr turned off when on tripod and are you selecting focus point

Your speed is fast enough. Is your vr turned off when on tripod and are you selecting focus point

yes, always. so that bew lenses will not give me better shoots?

I'd say your lens could be faulty or need micro adjust. Is it sharp but not where you focus it?

I cant help myself, but this basic lenses 18-105mm cant offer any good results for landscape photography. Barely sharp even on 18mm and f8, with good light conditions.

Take some pictures and post it along with the exif. Everything should be within the dof at 18mm f8, focus isn't even an issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back