new body vs new lens

mgilmore18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does is make more sense for me to upgrade the body of my camera or purchase a new lens. Of course, I want both (now!) but can't afford at the same time. Here's what I'm working with:

Nikon d5200
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Nikon 35mm 1.8

Just my opinion but the D5200 still holds up fine now, so maybe get a lens based on what you would need a lens for.

For example if you want more reach the get something that category since right now you pretty much have no reach with that 50mm.

If you want to get in to Macro, get a macro lens, if you find yourself wishing you had a wider lens, go with something like the Nikon 10-24.

Unless there is some limitation you have found with your camera, I would go with lenses first.

D5200 is still viable, so lenses and lighting accessories make a lot of sense as upgrades/improvements. The primes you have are fine, but it might be nice to have a zoom lens for the wider end, the 17-50 range for example.

What type of photography do you like to do ?

Also, what happened to the kit lenses? the 18-55 and/or 55-200. Did you have them and get rid of them?

I'm just curious how you ended up with a 35 & 50 only.

Yeah it depends on what you shoot and what you need to get out of your camera, you may or may not need a new one that can handle insane ISO or shoots 10 fps. :D

Does is make more sense for me to upgrade the body of my camera or purchase a new lens. Of course, I want both (now!) but can't afford at the same time. Here's what I'm working with:

Nikon d5200
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Nikon 35mm 1.8
You haven't said what kind of photography you do now or in the future.

I agree with Derrel about lenses and lighting should be next.

You may not need to choose only 1 of those options. The 35mm f1.8 DX lens is very inexpensive. You could probably get a used version for under $100 USD. It's a great second lens...good wide angle, fast, very sharp, very small and light-weight (so you can throw it in your pocket or purse and put a longer zoom on your body).

The 35mm f1.8 DX lens is very inexpensive. You could probably get a used version for under $100 USD.
She already has one.

I used to catch a shot of Elvis once in a while (very once in a while.) Once, my 50mm was too long for a photo of him in a crowd when I was too close and another time a 300mm was just barely long enough.
Ya gotta tell us what ya shoot.

What lens are you looking for... and why?

My thoughts... camera bodies come and go, so I buy glass once and for life, that means I save longer and get the best lenses for my needs and only upgrade the camera body once it limits my photography.

Probably not relevant (OP hasn’t replied since 20 November…) but I’ll chime in anyway, to maybe help those who stumble upon this thread and have the same dilemma.

If you already have equipment—any kind of tool that successfully turns photons into pixels—you need to really think about what it is that you want to upgrade. Is there a certain problem with your gear that you’re trying to solve? Is the gear you already have limiting you in any way? Be as specific about it as you can, because you may find that what you actually need—something that will truly help you—is totally different from what you first thought you’d get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back