New camera shopping the more I look the more I'm confused!

Move over little dog the big old dog is moving in!
11ukqdw.jpg

Holy cow this thing is a beast! It's got enough knobs, buttons and menus to keep any rocket scientist happy for years and solid my goodness she's build like a tank!

I took one photo just to check the shutter count - 1152 :D and then spent the rest of the day reading the book and playing with menus. The 55-300 lens comes tomorrow and hopefully I'll get brave enough to push the shutter soon!

So far I love it! THANK YOU!!!

Let the fun begin. I'll send the 50mm lens to you when I get back from vacation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LOL OK so I took the plunge, locked the camera on manual and after 2 hours of youtube to understand f stop, exposure speed and ISO I went out to play. I now know on a sunny day shooting a pile of grain from a distance f 3.5, 1/2000 and ISO 100 gives much better color than the same shot at f 8, 1/500 and ISO 100. So it's back to the web to find out why!
2ql8j81.jpg

PS this is what you call a bumper crop in Minnesota!
2en5ksz.jpg

Last edited:
With the new camera I have learned the ability to create a great image has as much to do with the camera as the ability to create a great meal has to do with the stove.
1zey3hx.jpg

Shot with a K-3, 50mm 1.7 wide open. It did it as a poke to a lady that came up to me in church on Sunday and said "I love your night shots you must have a really good camera". She meant no harm but I wanted to make the point in a way she would understand it so I posted that on my wall of facebook where I know she will see it.

Last edited:
Pentax at night!
K-3 with a HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

1 ƒ/5.0 26.0 mm 15 seconds 400 ISO
Yeah the flag is over exposed and it moved. Should have gone with 10 sec.
_IMG0488 by Jim Stainer, on Flickr

2 ƒ/5.6 16.0 mm 15 sec 400
Old railroad depot just has to be B&W
_IMG0473 by Jim Stainer, on Flickr

3 ƒ/4.5 16.0 mm 30 sec 100 ISO
It was fun messing around with shadows here
_IMG0483 by Jim Stainer, on Flickr

4 ƒ/3.5 16.0 mm 15 sec 400
_IMG0472 by Jim Stainer, on Flickr

5 ƒ/20.0 16.0 mm 30 sec 100
I swear this street was level in lightroom!
_IMG0466 by Jim Stainer, on Flickr

6 ƒ/4.0 28.0 mm 30sec 100
no way to get a flag to stay still for 30 seconds!
_IMG0457 by Jim Stainer, on Flickr

I really had fun with this and couldn't wait to get back home and see the shots on the big screen. They were not quite as glowing as I thought they would be but I'm leaning!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back