New Camera

Well, there are plenty of "high-zoom" point-and-shoot cameras I could tell you about, but there's nothing quite like getting your hands on a proper digital SLR camera and a telephoto lens.

Of course, SLRs are more a lot expensive than P&Ss, but the used market is perfect for those kind of things. Nowadays, you can get a used Nikon D70 or a Canon EOS 300D for about £200 (see HERE), and you can get a low-end 55-200 or 70-300 lens for about £50-80. A long range telephoto lens like that is very good for wildlife, if that's what you're using it for. Yet again, that will push your budget to the far end of your spectrum, but the image quality difference will be almost incomprehensible.

But I understand if that is too much money for you, and if that is the case, I would recommend the Fuji S5700 high-zoom P&S (although shop around; Jessops has some awful prices). You simply need to bear in mind that megapixels are not everything: Any DSLR will give way, WAY better quality photos than ANY P&S camera.

Take your pick, but bear in mind that you should be aiming towards a digital SLR camera if you wish to turn photography into a hobby. :D

Most reactions

Back