New Camera

poker_jake said:
The LCD on top of the camera and dedicated Aperture dial in manual are things that I could never do without anymore! 60d and 7d are great cameras!

Each to their own priorities

Thanks everyone! It helps getting input from experienced photographers that use the cameras in question! After much research I think I'm going with the T2i for $499 and getting another lens with the money I save. Was thinking about the EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime (also really cheap), but I'm just starting that research.

60D would have been nice but I don't shoot professionally -such as a weddings- where quickly changing settings is much more of a factor. I'm still learning, so the rebel should be okay for me, at least until I get a full frame. (-:

If price wasn't a factor I would have the latest 5D with the 7D on standby for the action shots. With that said, how awesome is it that I can potentially get the same quality shot of the 7D with a sub $500 t2i. That's one thing to like about Canon, they give you all sorts of options with out sacrifice to image quality (with respect to the options).

Thanks again for the discussion, really helps!

Hmmm, I can say from my own experience that I have no problems holding down the extra button to switch my aperture values, or any of the other values mentioned. In fact, at least with my own shooting style, I doubt a second wheel would make it any quicker then it already is.

Personally, I love my T3i and would only ever upgrade from it for a full frame camera. I have never felt limited by it in any way, and on the contrary, find things like the articulating screen useful for getting creative which I wouldnt be able to do otherwise. IMO, go with the T3i.

EDIT: Seeing as how you've settled on the T2i, it too is a great camera. Still, you may find yourself wishing you had spent the extra $80 to pick up a T3i instead for the upgrades it has over the T2i (articulating screen, better external audio metering for video, etc). Be sure to post up photos once you get shooting!

So out of the people saying that they don't think that the extra dedicated wheel is worth having... (Togalive, belial)

Neither of them have actually used a camera with a dedicated aperture wheel for a large chunk of time... Wheras I've had experience with shooting both entry level and pro bodies and can vouch for the ease of use from personal experience.

Gotta love internet advice!

OP, the 60D isn't a 'pro' camera so to speak, it's a prosumer body if you were to put a name on it. It has the same sensor as the 7D, along with the T3i. Personally, if you're serious about photography you should look at the T3i at the minimum, You'll get additional features with the camera that you'll use down the road... Like wireless flash support built into the camera. You get that with the 60D too, along with a better AF system.

o hey tyler said:
So out of the people saying that they don't think that the extra dedicated wheel is worth having... (Togalive, belial)

Neither of them have actually used a camera with a dedicated aperture wheel for a large chunk of time... Wheras I've had experience with shooting both entry level and pro bodies and can vouch for the ease of use from personal experience.

Gotta love internet advice!

OP, the 60D isn't a 'pro' camera so to speak, it's a prosumer body if you were to put a name on it. It has the same sensor as the 7D, along with the T3i. Personally, if you're serious about photography you should look at the T3i at the minimum, You'll get additional features with the camera that you'll use down the road... Like wireless flash support built into the camera. You get that with the 60D too, along with a better AF system.

I think it's worth having. I don't think it's worth making sacrifices and going to the top of the op's budget when he can put the money into glass instead

Size is key. Hold them in your hands and decide. and AF system does matter.

I'm not sure I would go from the 30D down to a Rebel series body. Yes they have nice features now-a-days, but I would not call it an upgrade going to a Rebel. Also, looking at how long you used your last camera, I would go 60D or 7D simply for the fact you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

I have a 600D and I am also thinking I should have gone with the 60D

I'm not sure I would go from the 30D down to a Rebel series body. Yes they have nice features now-a-days, but I would not call it an upgrade going to a Rebel. Also, looking at how long you used your last camera, I would go 60D or 7D simply for the fact you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

I agree with this. Going from a 30D to a t3i would seem like a downgrade to me.

I went to best buy and held both of them, 60D was much like my 30D, t3i was a quality down grade in terms of the body. I knew that already but needed to feel the difference for my self and not just from what I read. Another thing that started to bug me was the shutter speed 1/4000s of the T3i. My 30D does 1/8000s same as 60D and after reviewing photos such the ones I had taken at the local airshow, noticed plenty of action shots faster then what the Rebel can deliver. Perhaps if I was a pro I could master the action pan and get some nice back ground motion blur, but I was dealing with jet fighters going 500+ mph and the extra shutter speed really helped me out that day.

With those things said and the suggestions on this forum, I think I'll purchase the 60D and not the T2i or T3i as previously stated.

timphotos said:
I went to best buy and held both of them, 60D was much like my 30D, t3i was a quality down grade in terms of the body. I knew that already but needed to feel the difference for my self and not just from what I read. Another thing that started to bug me was the shutter speed 1/4000s of the T3i. My 30D does 1/8000s same as 60D and after reviewing photos such the ones I had taken at the local airshow, noticed plenty of action shots faster then what the Rebel can deliver. Perhaps if I was a pro I could master the action pan and get some nice back ground motion blur, but I was dealing with jet fighters going 500+ mph and the extra shutter speed really helped me out that day.

With those things said and the suggestions on this forum, I think I'll purchase the 60D and not the T2i or T3i as previously stated.

You won't be disappointed, great camera

Most reactions

Back