New Canon 18-55mm IS better then Xt kit lens?

Is the $400 Tamron AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II a possibility? Or, you could just keep saving for the $1000 EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Pick up the "nifty fifty" $85 EF 50mm f/1.8 II to keep you occupied?

I don't really know much about Tamron other than the fact the focus and zoom are backwards from Canon (from what I have read). I will definitely be getting the "nifty fifty", but want a walkaround lens for when I go to Italy in a few months. I want something a little nicer than the kit lens, but am saving for the Italy trip at the same time - with the value of the dollar these days, it looks like I will need to save quite a bit to convert to Euros. I will probably get the new 18-55mm. The other part of my lense budget is going to one of the 70-200mm L lenses at the end of the year once I decide which one.

for about 80 bucks more u could pick up the canon 55-250mm IS lens.

I did end up buying the new 18-55mm IS lens. I've only taken a couple of photos, but can already tell that it is quite a difference. So far I am extremely happy with the lens. I wanted to stay in the 18-55mm range so that I will have a good walkaround lens (especially for my upcoming vacation to Rome). Also wanted to keep it fairly cheap. Tried waiting for either B&H or Adorama to get it in stock. Tired of waiting, I bought it from www.buydig.com .

Got the 50mm f/1.8 (from B&H) too :wink:

Good choice! I'm sure those lenses will give you great results.

Most reactions

Back