Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
21.1 MP full frame.

Video is 1080p 30fps.

Sensitivity up to 25,600 ISO.

Price £2,299.

Article Here.

I hope this compact/DSLR feature crossover is better thought out than live view.

Hmmm.

I thought that as there was a thread in this forum about the Nikon with video (and that contained much speculation about future Canon's) a thread here would be appropriate.

Hmmm.

I thought that as there was a thread in this forum about the Nikon with video (and that contained much speculation about future Canon's) a thread here would be appropriate.

Actually, there's two other threads on the new 5D already.

Actually, there's two other threads on the new 5D already.

Actually, there's a post in this thread mentioning the other forum already. :lol:

As I just said, there was a lot of interest in the new Nikon with video in this forum so it did not seem inappropriate to start one here.

I dare say a mod will close this thread if they feel its continued existance will prove harmful to the site.

Well I will get in before the studio photographers (I hope)
I think video in a DSLR is a good feature to add - I have said all along that with FPS increasing all the time it was only a matter of time till DSLRs were shooting 25+fps which is video speed. The 5D being able to shoot full HD video is a boon to have.
I don't think its enough to make a person say "that is the camera for me" to say that one has to consider the other features - MP, ISO, FPS, buffer, AF and others.
Whilst many will say that they don't need or will ever use video that is fine to say and to hold that view, but its inclusion does not impare any other features of the 5DM2 that I can see- you can ignor it just as much as the green auto mode and the creative auto mode if you so choose.
For those of us commited to a DSLR system and without the funds to buy a full video camera setup (or even have space to carry it around with us) its a joy - need I also mention that when action starts switching from one camera to another takes longer than it does to turn a mode dial to video mode. Of coures this is not going to beat a proper level video camera - its not trying to (actually its only trying to be Nikons DSLR video ;)).

I think video mode is something that wildlife, sports, family, holiday and journalists are not only going to use but are happy to use.

I think the jury is still out on the whole DSLR video issue. After the Nikon D90 and this 5D II hit the streets...we shall see what they can do.

On one hand, trying to create good video with a still camera and vice versa, hasn't been the best way to go about it. There are probably compromises.
But on the other hand, if the video is pretty good, you now have a video camera that can use Canon lenses and has a full frame sensor. From what I understand of digital video cameras, the sensors are usually quite small, making it hard to get a shallow DOF.

The Press wanted video so they got it, they can now film 12 minutes of HD1080 and grab the still frame they want to print in a newspaper.

One of the biggest markets for the 5D was the press, its small unlike a 1 series and had good ISO performance. 1 Series cameras are great but for a like of press guys they wanted something a big smaller and lighter.

I think the jury is still out on the whole DSLR video issue. After the Nikon D90 and this 5D II hit the streets...we shall see what they can do.

On one hand, trying to create good video with a still camera and vice versa, hasn't been the best way to go about it. There are probably compromises.
But on the other hand, if the video is pretty good, you now have a video camera that can use Canon lenses and has a full frame sensor. From what I understand of digital video cameras, the sensors are usually quite small, making it hard to get a shallow DOF.

Not sure if you know this Mike, but the nicer (more professional like) Canon video cameras will already accept Canon lenses. I think all it takes is an adapter.

Well there's only one line that does. It started with the XL series which was their digital version of the Hi8 L1 and L2 systems also with interchangeable lenses. I had an XL1 for a little while. I never became aware that their SLR lenses could be fit to an XL body. Is there a link or something?

So, when can we upload videos from our still cameras to this website?

skieur

Most reactions

Back