New Canon XTi!!! What to do?

boclcown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My parents decided to surprise me (about 15 minutes ago) and bought a new XTi and hid it in under my bed. Of course, they were quick to remind me of the $800 I owe them.

So, I opened it up, and poped in the battery. It works amazing. I played with the D80 and other cameras, but the 400D simply feels the quickest. Even it's shutter sound trumps Nikon's. It'll be fun, now that I have a team to play on during those long and heated Canon vs. Nikon discussions!

Anyways, what do I do next? I'd like to learn the ins and outs of my camera but would rather an online source than the manual. Should I be testing it to make sure it isn't faulty? This is my first DSLR, and I feel overwhelmed with the amount of information there is to retain.

Learn how to use the manual modes, like the P and the M mode. Just practice with it, I think that is the best way you can learn. Mess around with the different ISO settings. So, yeh... just take a lot of pictures in the different modes and you will slowly learn about your camera. It's a great camera, so congratulations! You can PM me anytime if you have any questions about the camera.

taking pictures is a good start.

My parents decided to surprise me (about 15 minutes ago) and bought a new XTi and hid it in under my bed. Of course, they were quick to remind me of the $800 I owe them.

That is an interesting way to get camera ;) Congratulations and have fun!

It'll be fun, now that I have a team to play on during those long and heated Canon vs. Nikon discussions!

For people actually doing photography, that discussion is one of the most obsolete and dead boring discussions ;) So don't waste your time on that.

So now go forth, play with it, try out settings, shoot images :) And make sure to report here ;)

What the others said is right; just go out and take pictures; mess with the settings, learn what works and what doesn't. Post what you think are your better or best shots here; folks will really be able to give you advice then. :)

Our German TV ad's slogan for this camera (for this one, too :scratch: !?!? Sure applied to the 350D) is "Come play".

This is what you should do.
Go out and play.

And what a gift!
WOW!
Congrats!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back