Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Popsicle{up

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys, my Nikon D7000 has broken (sd card readers on side broke) so I’m going to look at a new camera instead as I was going to upgrade anyway!

Now my delimma is the fact I’ve researched it a bit too much a few cameras have caught my eye. I’ll be using the camera as business - work in baby, child & family photography that’ll include portraits, christenings, birthday parties , family trips as well as other things including pets and school etc.

Now I’ve always had a Nikon and also only known about them.

So I was 1st thinking of Nikon D750 with a body lens that it will come with 24-120 or if I could push it just the body and then the lens (24-70)

however ive noticed Sony a7 III which I’ve read has really good reviews....if so what lens would be good for this too?

Mans do you guys recommend any canons too?

Itll my camera for at least a good 10 years so it’ll have to be something that’ll work and be good quality!

Any help would be appreciated- thank you xx

The Nikon D750 is a nice camera, but they've had several recalls. Some recalls have been catastrophic failure recalls. My shutter failed and damaged the sensor. Nikon fixed it for free, but there are time limits as to how long they'll do this.

Next, the focus points on the D750 are bunched up in the center of the frame. The D610 does this also. Kinda sucks for the rule of thirds composition. The D810 has a similar focus system, but the focus points are spread out more. I would look into that camera instead. Plus, no recall issues from what I've seen.

If you're looking at the Sony a7iii, you may also look at the Nikon z6. They've had firmware updates to include eye autofocus. The focus points cover 90% of the frame also. If you have Nikon lenses, get the FTZ adapter and they'll work with almost no issues.

Finally, look at the D500. You can get the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens in excellent condition for a STEAL. It is the 24-70 non-vr equivalent in terms of focal range and quality...for a fraction of the price. I have both lenses, and the 24-70 is better when it comes to image quality in the corners, but that's where images matter the least and you're not really gonna notice until you start pixel peeping. Pixel peeping is irrelevant when it comes to printing unless they're the size of your living room wall.

The D500 has the same pixel pitch as the D850, the frame rate that is better than the Sony A7iii or Z6 (with continuous AE/AF) and an AMAZING focusing system, think D5 arena.

I have the D500 and the D810. I bought the D500 as a back up camera, but I use the D500 SUBSTANTIALLY more than the D810. It's just more versatile. The only time I really ever default (or use) the D810 now is for landscapes using my 15-30mm lens to get the full 15mm.

In the end, it's up to you as to what you like. The mirrorless cameras are nice and have some really cool tech, but will they last the 10 years your looking to use them? Most definitely no. They aren't anywhere near as rugged as today's DSLR's. There are a ton of people still using D700's, D3's and D300's. In fact my wife STILL uses her D300 exclusively! Her D300 has over 350k shutter clicks (rated to 150k) on it and works perfectly too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I use Canon, but if you already used to the Nikon system, I will suggest stay with Nikon. At the end of the day, you are not going to see much difference between them as far as the end result goes.

Personally, I did consider getting the Sony A7 full frame camera at one point for weight saving but soon realize that while it help, but a fast zoom lenses for full frame cameras are usually heavy unless I just use couple fast prime lenses or pancake lenses.

So in my opinion, if the goal is better picture, any one will do, so I will say stay with Nikon because you are familiar with the system. If the goal is save *a little weight*, then go with Sony. If your goal is *switch from the DARK SIDE*, then get a Canon. :D

Hi Guys, my Nikon D7000 has broken (sd card readers on side broke) so I’m going to look at a new camera instead as I was going to upgrade anyway!
Since you're accustomed to the D7000, may I suggest that you consider the D7100? IMO, the D7100 surpasses the D7000 in some areas, and it's the same size, same controls, etc. as the D7000.

At any rate, I would not recommend the Sony, or the D750 either, for that matter.

If portraiture is a significant portion of your business, you could also consider a Nikon D700, which has an FX-size sensor that is known for its ability to render skin tones very well. As it has been discontinued, you will probably not find a new one, but there are many good used ones available.

Good luck!

D7100 or a D7200?? Have you considered either? VERY affordable options...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back